Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Expansion of merged column never completes in Desktop

Hi,

Having weird problem whereby a query I'm having simply isn't processing, whereby it is simply saying it is waiting for the Snowflake server. My data model has two tables - the first one is relatively simple, it has nothing more than a list of unique reference numbers, each with a date. This one processes fine. The second one is a bit more complex but still not massive and not overly complicated in itself - it takes a bunch (~1m) of rows, cuts down to maybe 20 pertinent columns, has the other table joined in, has a couple of simple custom columns created based on the value that's brought in, nothing major. The preview will complete fine in the query editor, but when trying to get things to update in Desktop itself, it just never gets started.

By commenting out the back end of the query until it completes, and then adding in things line by line, I've identified the step of the query which is causing the problem - this is the part of the query which causes the problem:

#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Filtered Rows", {"POLICYNUMBER"}, Cancellations, {"POLICYNUMBER"}, "Cancellations", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
#"Expanded Cancellations" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Cancellations", {"CancelDate"}, {"CancelDate"}),

If I include just the first line, the query completes. If I include the second line as well, the query just stalls at that point and never starts (but, as stated, only when actually loading data into Desktop - refreshing the preview within Power Query works). Does anyone have any insight as to why this would be the case and possible fixes?

2 REPLIES 2
v-xuxinyi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jthomson 

According to your description, the problem you are experiencing is as follows: You have 1M rows of data, which are displayed normally in Power Query, but clicking Refresh in Desktop is not effective.

To better help you, is there any relevant error message? If so, would you mind sharing them?

Best Regards,
Yulia Xu

There is no error message, it just hangs saying waiting for our Snowflake server and nothing happens

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.