Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

OriExil

Error with thousands separator

Good, A while ago I've been dragging this problem, but I can't find a solution in any language.
When I add thousands separators to a numeric value it only gives me the first separator from right to left, an example would be something like this:
5,000,000 (As it should be)
5000,000 (As seen)
It only happens with values with 6 or more "zeros" for obvious reasons.
I've already tried to change the regional format and so on, but I can't fix it, it's quite annoying.
Thank you very much in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OriExil ,

You can try to use custom format strings in Power BI Desktop. More Info: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-custom-format-strings

I create a column typed as whole number. Like below:

1.png

Click the Model View, choose the column and then we select Custom in Format. Steps are shown as below:

2.png

We will have three options to choose:

3.png

Choose the third one and then delete $:

4.png

Result:

5.png

If this can't work, you could create a calculated column with FORMAT function:

Column = FORMAT('Table'[Column1],"#,###,###")

Note: FORMAT function returns text values. 

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OriExil ,

You can try to use custom format strings in Power BI Desktop. More Info: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-custom-format-strings

I create a column typed as whole number. Like below:

1.png

Click the Model View, choose the column and then we select Custom in Format. Steps are shown as below:

2.png

We will have three options to choose:

3.png

Choose the third one and then delete $:

4.png

Result:

5.png

If this can't work, you could create a calculated column with FORMAT function:

Column = FORMAT('Table'[Column1],"#,###,###")

Note: FORMAT function returns text values. 

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Funciono perfectamente, muchisimas gracias!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@OriExil not sure what is going on, I tried at my end and it works. What is digital grouping setting in your region settings:

parry2k_0-1594478034780.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k I have it configured the same way, only I use the dots as thousands separators.

power bi error.png

Only on my desktop computer does this happen, on my notebook I have no problems.

Thank you for your time!

@OriExil this is weird,  are you using the same version of powerbi on both the computers. I guess you have regional setting in power bi set to default windows settings, correct?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.