Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

victor_erathos
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic text column switch for aggregation

I want to dynamically switch a column in a table and display the sum (or any aggregation) of values for the column which is selected.

I've looked at several solutions that don't work for my case, such as this article: Change Dimension Dynamically using Parameter in PowerBI, that requires a "Direct Query" connection, which I cannot use due to size of the data and more importantly because my connection (ODBC) does not support it. This post: Regarding Dynamic Y axis goes over a solution which involves unpivoting the columns, which is not an option for me again due to the size of the data and how the rest of the project is already set up. Guy in a Cube: 3+ approaches for Dynamic Axis in Power BI also covers some ideas, the bookmark being one that could almost work if it was possible to use a slicer to change bookmarks (otherwise there's no practical way of displaying all the buttons for the options required).

I've simplified my model to still contain the problem:

data.png model.png

What I want to be able to do (be it with a Parameter or Disconnected Table) is to switch between the fields in each dimension using a slicer. I manually built a couple tables that simulate this funcionality:

victor_erathos_0-1646940487826.png    victor_erathos_2-1646940499752.png

Is there a way to do this? Here is also a link to the .pbix file which I used to build this example.

Thank you for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you, @v-kkf-msft !

I ran into a few more issues, since my original data had NULL values in the dimension tables, as well. Anyway, got through those and ended up bringing that aditional table directly with SQL.

However, the solution unfortunately introduces some other issues, given that we would be using an inactive relationship on this new table with distinct values. This means that, if I want to build an interactive report with the visuals filtering each other, I can't just click on a value of this table we are building to filter the other visuals, since, e.g. Dim1[type] is not related to the values in the table directly. This is an integral part of my problem; I am actually using scatter plots and not a table (which, for the purpose of the problem, it's all the same, that's why I kept it simple) and the user needs to be able to filter the report based on the data points in the visual.

Your solution does solve the problem I layed out on the post, so if you do not have any other suggestions with regard to the issues I mentioned, I'll close the thread.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @victor_erathos ,

Please create the new table and inactive relationship.

Slicer = 
DISTINCT (
    UNION (
        SELECTCOLUMNS ( Dim1, "Field", "type", "Value", Dim1[type] ),
        SELECTCOLUMNS ( Dim2, "Field", "city", "Value", Dim2[city] ),
        SELECTCOLUMNS ( Dim1, "Field", "name", "Value", Dim1[name] )
    )
)

vkkfmsft_0-1647329269510.pngvkkfmsft_1-1647329310431.png

Then create the measure to calaculate total value.

Measure = 
VAR city_sumValue =
    CALCULATE ( [SumValue], USERELATIONSHIP ( Slicer[Value], Dim2[city] ) )
VAR type_sumValue =
    CALCULATE ( [SumValue], USERELATIONSHIP ( Slicer[Value], Dim1[type] ) )
VAR name_sumValue =
    CALCULATE ( [SumValue], USERELATIONSHIP ( Slicer[Value], Dim1[name] ) )
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        SELECTEDVALUE ( Slicer[Field] ),
        "city", city_sumValue,
        "type", type_sumValue,
        "name", name_sumValue
    )

vkkfmsft_2-1647329404442.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you, @v-kkf-msft !

I ran into a few more issues, since my original data had NULL values in the dimension tables, as well. Anyway, got through those and ended up bringing that aditional table directly with SQL.

However, the solution unfortunately introduces some other issues, given that we would be using an inactive relationship on this new table with distinct values. This means that, if I want to build an interactive report with the visuals filtering each other, I can't just click on a value of this table we are building to filter the other visuals, since, e.g. Dim1[type] is not related to the values in the table directly. This is an integral part of my problem; I am actually using scatter plots and not a table (which, for the purpose of the problem, it's all the same, that's why I kept it simple) and the user needs to be able to filter the report based on the data points in the visual.

Your solution does solve the problem I layed out on the post, so if you do not have any other suggestions with regard to the issues I mentioned, I'll close the thread.

tackytechtom
Super User
Super User

Hi @victor_erathos ,

I think your issue could be solved with calculation groups.

Here is a blog post where they discuss similar ideas:

Top 10 uses for Calculation Groups — Apex Insights: Power BI tips & tricks 

Hope this gets you closer to a solution! 🙂

/Tom
https://www.tackytech.blog/
https://www.instagram.com/tackytechtom/

Did I answer your question➡️ Please, mark my post as a solution ✔️

Also happily accepting Kudos 🙂

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn! linkedIn

#proudtobeasuperuser 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.