Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SabineOussi
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Dynamic Text

Hello,

Is there a way that I can create a dynamic text within the text box?

In other words, let's say I want to display the following:

There are @numberoftickers submitted by @numberofusers and managed by @numberofadmins 

@numbers will be a count of certain fields.

I know that I can create a card of the desired count and a text box with a specified space and put them on top of each other so that they appear as they're written in one sentence.

But is therer a better way to do it? Like sort of a hyperlink to columns?

Thanks,

Sabine O.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SqlJason
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

What you can do is to create a measure like 

TextMeasure = "There are " +  [numberoftickers] + " submitted by " + [numberofusers] + " and managed by " + [numberofadmins]

Now you can place this measure in a text box and that should show the desired result. Using text based measures is a handy technique in scenarios like this. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
koplis
Advocate I
Advocate I

This feature was added in mid 2021

You can create dynamic text within text boxes without any coding or extra variables.

Someone talks about it here... https://www.wiseowl.co.uk/blog/s2887/text-box.htm

This discussion is still the number one Google result so thought I'd provide an update 🙂

koplis_0-1669759522320.png

SemG
Frequent Visitor

For everyone that's searching for this. I have created filling in parts of text boxes dynamically as an idea on ideas.powerbi.com. Please vote on it so that we can have this useful feature. Link below.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/33374140-using-measures-to-dynami...

MrDataGeek

@SqlJason how do you set a textbox to the value of a measure? I was able to create a measure that returns a dynamic title using your method but I don't know how to set a textbox a measure. I was able to do so using the "card" visualization but I don't want to use that visualization because it uses the name of the measure as a default title. 

@MrDataGeek it is a card visualization and not a textbox. You can turn off the category label, turn on the title and put the title text you want.

Thanks @SabineOussi! I figured that out last night and I was about to update my question before I saw your response. I did not initially think to turn off the "category label". I appreciate your help!

SqlJason
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

What you can do is to create a measure like 

TextMeasure = "There are " +  [numberoftickers] + " submitted by " + [numberofusers] + " and managed by " + [numberofadmins]

Now you can place this measure in a text box and that should show the desired result. Using text based measures is a handy technique in scenarios like this. 

Hi But how can we pass it to text ?

The problem with using a card is that you lose the control over font over individual segments. For eg: if I wanted to display the measure value in bold and different color from rest of the text, or go to next line, I cant do that.

So basically, being able to concat text and measure directly in text box would be good.

The other problem with using a card is that you lose all formating capabilities. (or at least to the best of my knowledge).

I have not been able to left justify the text in a card. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Chris Webb has blogged about a fantastic solution that listens to slicer values to dynamically create a title.  Very similar solution using a card with no category that "sits on top of" of chart, but a little more robust.

@SqlJason, & is the concatenation operator in DAX; + is not overloaded as in SQL.

As an additional point, depending on the measure being used to provide the numeric portion of this string, you may find a need for FORMAT(), which allows you to use a format string to alter the display of a numeric or date value.

My bad, I forgot to test it before posting :).... Yes you will have to use the & operator as well as FORMAT() based on your needs as @greggyb mentioned.

Yes, I'm aware about the language, thanks.

I was just hoping to have a more direct solution.

HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@SabineOussi as far as I know text expressions are not yet available but as you mentioned you can do some workarounds.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.