Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SusanRay
Helper I
Helper I

Dynamic Text for a Drill Through

I have created a dynamic text box for the top-level page that changes based on slicer values.

SusanRay_2-1691606932396.png

I am struggling with creating a similar text box for the drill-through destination page.  

For example, if I drill through after clicking on the dark blue portion of the Engineering bar,  I would like the text in the sample below to end with "Engineering" and "Male"   

SusanRay_4-1691607685510.png

Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@SusanRay 

My mistake with that last measure.

The last line should be returning _Logic not _ColorParm.

Sorry about that.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
SusanRay
Helper I
Helper I

@amitchandak 

Here is a little more detail about what I am trying to do:

The last value I need to include in the title changes depending on the Color Parameter. So, I cannot simply use selectedvalue(Table[Gender]) 

Since Color Parameter = 

{

("Overall", NAMEOF('Enrollment'[Overall]), 0),

("Gender", NAMEOF('Student Bio Demo'[Gender]), 1),

("Race/Ethnicity", NAMEOF('Student Bio Demo'[Ethnicity Race Group]), 2),

("Minority", NAMEOF('Student Bio Demo'[Minority]), 3),

("Residency", NAMEOF('Student Bio Demo'[Residency level]), 4)

I tried 

Drillthrough Title Piece = IF(Color Parameter  = "Overall", "Overall", (If(Color Parameter  = "Gender", selectedvalue('Student Bio Demo'[Gender]), (If(Color Parameter = "Race/Ethnicity", selectedvalue('Student Bio Demo'[Ethnicity Race Group]), (If(Color Parameter  = "Minority", selectedvalue('Student Bio Demo'[Minority]), selectedvalue('Student Bio Demo'[Residency level]))))))))

But Power BI doesn't like this.  Any suggestions?

Does this help?  I think it was just a matter of incorrectly placed parentheses.

Drillthrough Title Piece =
IF(
    'Color Parameter'[Value] = "Overall",
    "Overall",
    IF(
        'Color Parameter'[Value] = "Gender",
        SELECTEDVALUE( 'Student Bio Demo'[Gender] ),
        IF(
            'Color Parameter'[Value] = "Race/Ethnicity",
            SELECTEDVALUE( 'Student Bio Demo'[Ethnicity Race Group] ),
            IF(
                'Color Parameter'[Value] = "Minority",
                SELECTEDVALUE( 'Student Bio Demo'[Minority] ),
                SELECTEDVALUE( 'Student Bio Demo'[Residency level] )
            )
        )
    )
)

Thank you for the response, @gmsamborn .

Unfortunately, that did not work.  The error message says "The syntax for 'Value' is incorrect."

Hi @SusanRay 

I was just going by your definition for [Drillthrough Title Piece].  In you definition, you refer to Color Parameter without using quotes (ie. 'table') or square brackets ( ie. [measure] ).  I have no way of knowing if that is a measure or a table (or even a column).

Hello @gmsamborn ,

I apologize if I wasn't clear. I am still very new to Power BI and Dax. 

Color Parameter is just that, a parameter. ( a 'fields' parameter if that helps)

My use case: 

I have one page with a stacked bar graph that changes the legend colors based on the Color Parameter selection (Gender, Race/Ethnicity or Residency, etc.).   

A user can select a portion of a bar and drill through to another page. That page, of course, only shows data relevant to the particular bar and color selected.  

I need a way to title the drill-through page that clearly indicates what was selected on the previous page (for example "Male" or "Asian" or "In-State").  The exact verbiage will vary depending on which parameter was chosen.

I am struggling to find the correct DAX syntax for that purpose.  

Does any of that make sense?

Hi @SusanRay 

Is there any way you could come up with a sample report with fictional data and any past attempts at a solution?

1)  Please provide sample data that covers your issue or question completely.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba-...

2) Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447523

3) Please explain how you would expect to get from step 1 to 2.

4) If possible, please show your past attempts at a solution.

@gmsamborn,

I really appreciate your help with this.

A trimmed-down copy of my project is available here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VmMU6fkARoUMBoOB2gvbr6YokO6hh_xb/view?usp=sharing

I added some text boxes on the various pages describing what I hope to see and what I have tried so far.

I feel like I must be missing something obvious because I cannot be the only person with this project requirement.

Hi @SusanRay 

After looking at your pbix, I'm unsure how/where you are using [Drillthrough Title Piece].

Regardless, would this help?

VAR _ColorParm = SELECTEDVALUE( 'Color Parameter'[Color Parameter] )
RETURN
IF(
    _ColorParm = "Overall",
    "Overall",
    IF(
        _ColorParm = "Gender",
        IF(
            _ColorParm = "Race/Ethnicity",
            IF(
                _ColorParm = "Minority",
            )
        )
    )
)

Hi @gmsamborn ,

If you look at the Enrollment Count Detail Page,  you will see a text box that includes the phrase (Color Parameter Selection). That is where I hoped to put the "Drillthrough Title Piece."   (My bad. I wasn't consistent in my naming.)

Power BI did not throw an error when I created a measure using your proposed code. 🙂

But when I tried to 'add dynamic value' to the text box I am using for the title on the 'detail' page it wouldn't accept it. 😕

SusanRay_1-1694706048116.png

I then tried to add it as a table or a card, but it gave me a "Couldn't load the data for this visual" error. 😕

Specifically, it says, 

SusanRay_2-1694706148790.png

As I said, I am very new to Power BI. This is supposed to be a Measure, right?  Does it matter where that measure sits in my data?

SusanRay_0-1694705903813.png

Hi @SusanRay 

I for got to mention that when you are setting up your dynamic value, don't forget to use [ and ] (ie. [Drillthrough Title Piece] )

Also, the location of a measure doesn't matter.  (I usually set up an empty table to put them in.)

The following link refers to that error.

https://www.sqlbi.com/blog/marco/2022/06/11/using-selectedvalue-with-fields-parameters-in-power-bi/

Maybe try this...

VAR __SelectedValue =
    SELECTCOLUMNS (
        SUMMARIZE ( 
            'Color Parameter', 
            'Color Parameter'[Color Parameter],
            'Color Parameter'[p_Overall Fields]
        ),
        "_Color",
            'Color Parameter'[Color Parameter]
    )
VAR _ColorParm = 
    IF(
        COUNTROWS( __SelectedValue ),
        MAXX(
            __SelectedValue,
            [_Color]
        )
    )
VAR _Logic =
    IF(
        _ColorParm = "Overall",
        "Overall",
        IF(
            _ColorParm = "Gender",
            IF(
                _ColorParm = "Race/Ethnicity",
                IF(
                    _ColorParm = "Minority",
                )
            )
        )
    )
RETURN
    _Logic     // corrected

@gmsamborn ,

We are getting closer. 

An updated file is available here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AkwWiwWJlF3HzduyjFATpsp33aka8r_q/view?usp=sharing

I was able to create the measure using your code without a problem, and by adding the [ ] I got the dynamic text added to the text box.  But it isn't giving me the information I am looking for.

SusanRay_0-1694714343613.png

Rather than repeating the Color Parameter, which it does now, I want it to show which aspect of the selected measure was chosen for the drill through. (For example, 'Female' for Gender. OR 'Asian' for Race/Ethnicity. OR 'International' for Residency')

Does that make sense?

@SusanRay 

My mistake with that last measure.

The last line should be returning _Logic not _ColorParm.

Sorry about that.

Thank You!!!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@SusanRay , You can create a measure like below and use that in title

Meausre = "Student enrollment for" & selectedvalue(Table[semester]) & " for  selectedvalue(Table[Year])  & selectedvalue(Table[Gender]]) 

I have been able to create the first part with "Semester," "Year," and "Color Options" as dynamic values in my text box. (Thanks)

However, I cannot figure out how to add the values that are used to focus the drill through.  

For example, If I right-click on the dark blue portion of the Engineering bar and drill through, the table only shows data related to male students in the College of Engineering.  I want my text box on the drill-through details page to state that so the user remembers that the data they are looking at is filtered on those values.

I guess a more general question is, what does P BI call the elements used to focus a drill-through?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.