Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

tctrout
Resolver III
Resolver III

Disabling Table Load Deletes Measures Stored in that Table

I just learned the hard way that if you disable a load within PowerQuery that all the Measures 'stored' under that table will be deleted.

I wanted to ask the community if my understanding is correct or hopefully they are moved somewhere that is not apparent to me?

I often disable table loads in power query when troubleshooting refresh failures but this is the first time I witnessed this behavior.  I use to leverage DAX Table technique, where I would build a DAX Table via Calculated Table and stored all my measures there.  However, as I adopted more and more best practices for Fact Dim modeling (hiding native numeric columns to avoid implicit measures in favor of explicit measures) I found my Fact tables to be 'bare'.  So instead, started to create DAX Folder within the Fact the DAX is calculating.  

Wanted to collect the communities thoughts as I think this would be pretty common practice and how to avoid what I ran into.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Yes,

Your understanding is correct. Measures sit within the table section of the tabular object model which is the data layer in power bi:

bcdobbs_0-1639684702561.png

When you tell power bi to not load a table it doesn't hide the table it moves it to an area of the object model called shared expressions which just contains the M code and none of the rest:

bcdobbs_1-1639685236718.png

Some options:

1) You can move measures to another home table:

bcdobbs_2-1639685331771.png

In PowerBi you can only move one at a time. However if you open your model in tabular editor you can drag and drop multiple.

2) You could duplicate your table for testing purposes and unload it but leave the M in the original commented out... effectively leaves a blank table.

bcdobbs_3-1639685882654.png

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tctrout
Resolver III
Resolver III

Thank you for the detailed explanation and for the work arounds.  I leverage Tabular Editory 2 and was hopeful that I could simply drag my Measure folder to a new home table but it doesnt appear to be supported.  Selecting many measures and moving them is still better than losing them.  Thank you again.

I've just tried in 2.16.5 and it let me drag and drop two measures at once. What version are you using?

bcdobbs_0-1639687862984.png

Ben Dobbs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Yes,

Your understanding is correct. Measures sit within the table section of the tabular object model which is the data layer in power bi:

bcdobbs_0-1639684702561.png

When you tell power bi to not load a table it doesn't hide the table it moves it to an area of the object model called shared expressions which just contains the M code and none of the rest:

bcdobbs_1-1639685236718.png

Some options:

1) You can move measures to another home table:

bcdobbs_2-1639685331771.png

In PowerBi you can only move one at a time. However if you open your model in tabular editor you can drag and drop multiple.

2) You could duplicate your table for testing purposes and unload it but leave the M in the original commented out... effectively leaves a blank table.

bcdobbs_3-1639685882654.png

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.