Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

kahn_ohara
Frequent Visitor

Direct query dynamic column selection

I am familliar with passing user entered values to a query in Direct query/live connection using dynamic M query parameters as discussed here

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-dynamic-m-query-parameters

However, so far I've only passed parameters to the where clause. The table I am hitting has hundreds of columns and users require the ability to view any/all of these columns in a live connection. Unfortunately, the performance will be awful if Power BI first selects all the columns in the database and then limits what's shown in power bi. Is there a way for me to allow users to select columns dynamically and only query the selected columns using live connection/direct query? Rather than passing user entered filter values to the where clause of my SQL I want to pass user selected column names to the select clause.

For example, suppose I have a PBI table called Table1. I'd like to create a parameter such that a user could select from a slicer col1 and col2 then Table1 will refresh based off the query below hitting the database

select col1, col2

from snowflaketable 

and if user selects from dropdown col1, col4, col3 from dropdown then Table1 will refresh

select col1, col4, col3

from snowflaketable 

Is this possible? From what I can tell from trying so far, PBI does not seem to support this functionality.

1 REPLY 1
v-jiewu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kahn_ohara ,

Based on the knowledge, it is impossible to create a parameter to filter the columns.

1.Create the query and use Table.ColumnNames to get the names.

vjiewumsft_0-1715845722898.png

vjiewumsft_1-1715845739042.png

2.Drag the Invoked Function into the slicer. When select the column, can not filter the table.

vjiewumsft_2-1715845747181.png

You can view the following documents to learn more about information.

Parameters - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

You can raise a new idea and add the comments there to make this feature coming sooner.

Home (microsoft.com)

Best Regards,

Wisdom Wu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.