Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

cpereyra
Helper I
Helper I

Delimiter with Direct Query

I need to delimit the following column each time "~" shows. It won't let me do in in Edit Query because I have a Direct Query Connection. Does anyone know a dax to grab the text between "~" shows? Keep in mind that I will need to delimit each time the symbol shows.

Power BI Delimit.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @cpereyra,

Here I updated my sample PBIX file , please check if the newly added measures can get the expected results you want.In addition, if it is possible to handle with it in data source , then load the split columns into Power BI Desktop?

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cpereyra ,

You can create one measure as below,  please find full details in my sample PBIX file.The character "~" be displayed multiple times in text column "Extra_Fiels.PCC_ALL", here only get the characters between the first "~" and the last "~".

delimiter.JPG

FPCC = IFERROR (

MID (

MAX ( 'PEC Work'[Extra_Fields.PCC_ALL] ),

FIND ( "~", MAX ( 'PEC Work'[Extra_Fields.PCC_ALL] ) ) + 1,

FIND (

"@",

SUBSTITUTE (

MAX ( 'PEC Work'[Extra_Fields.PCC_ALL] ),

"~",

"@",

LEN ( MAX ( 'PEC Work'[Extra_Fields.PCC_ALL] ) )

- LEN ( SUBSTITUTE ( MAX ( 'PEC Work'[Extra_Fields.PCC_ALL] ), "~", "" ) )

),

)

- FIND ( "~", MAX ( 'PEC Work'[Extra_Fields.PCC_ALL] ) ) - 1

),

""

)

Best Regards

Rena

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

In Direct Query , You can not create a column, So you need to have a measure. And measure needs calculation. While mid, right , left and search will allow you to do that. You have to move most of your calculations inside x function like sumx, countx, minx etc

Like countx(Table,mid(table[Text],1,4))

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution.
In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @

Thanks. My Recent Blogs -Decoding Direct Query - Time Intelligence, Winner Coloring on MAP, HR Analytics, Power BI Working with Non-Standard TimeAnd Comparing Data Across Date Ranges
Connect on Linkedin

VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@cpereyra 

Try this...

Column = 
VAR A = IFERROR(FIND("~",'Table (4)'[Column1]),0)
VAR B = IFERROR(FIND("~",'Table (4)'[Column1],A+1),0)-1
RETURN IFERROR(MID('Table (4)'[Column1],A+1,B-A),'Table (4)'[Column1])

image.png

If it helps, mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn

It does work but how would you go about additional delimiters on the same column. 

Ex.

PEC~Insurances - ~Homeowner 

Would need back three columns

1- PEC

2 - Insurances

3 - Homeowner

@v-yiruan-msft @VasTg @amitchandak 

Hi @cpereyra,

Here I updated my sample PBIX file , please check if the newly added measures can get the expected results you want.In addition, if it is possible to handle with it in data source , then load the split columns into Power BI Desktop?

Best Regards

Rena

Your link is removed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.