Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

admin_xlsior
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Default filter Date Dimension

Hi,

When I have a Date Dimensions which currently up to year 2054, can I make it defaulted to the Max date of my FactTable ?

It is preferred also to doing this from backend if possible, means maybe from Power Query during Transform data.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @admin_xlsior,

I'd like to suggest you create a measure formula with similar logic to check if the current date is large than or less than the static max date. Then you can use it on the visual level filter to exclude the records who over the maximum date.

Applying a measure filter in Power BI 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@admin_xlsior , Create a column in the date table like

Date Type = SWITCH(TRUE(),'Date'[Date]=max(fact[date]),"Max Date"
,'Date'[Date]&"")

And select max date as default in slicer of page level filter

Refer :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfn05preQYA

HI @amitchandak 

It's a good idea and sample. However if I want to put this Date dimensions as a "Between" or "Before" (the one with slider) how to filter it ?

I think I get your idea, so I make some ideas, is to add the column in Date dimensions to have MaxDate column, like this : 

Max date = MAX(Transactions[Transaction date])

So in that Date dimension, there is one column, all filled in with that same Maximum date of my Fact (Transactions)
But how to filter it ? Can we use the Advance Filtering and choose that Calculated column ?

Sorry, it might be out of your example, but I just need to make a better understanding of how this is play.

image.png

thanks

Hi @admin_xlsior,

I'd like to suggest you create a measure formula with similar logic to check if the current date is large than or less than the static max date. Then you can use it on the visual level filter to exclude the records who over the maximum date.

Applying a measure filter in Power BI 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.