Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jakeryan56
Advocate II
Advocate II

Date sort issue with visual

I have data coming from two different sources (SalesDataFY17Q3 and SalesDataCurrent) into a combined query (SalesData). One of the sources is data from last quarter (October, November December) and the other is the current quarter (Jan, Feb, Mar).
I have created a visual for trends of measures over time. All the data displays correctly but when I "Sort by month" it doesn't sort them in the correct order as seen in the screenshot below.
Any ideas?

P.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @jakeryan56

I don't thnk the screenshot worked, sorry.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Oops, can you see it now?

Hi @jakeryan56,

Have you tried the solution provided above? Does it work in your scenario? If you still have any question, feel free to post it here. Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi

I suspect you need to add a year component. So change 'January' to 'January 17'. This includes the underlying column you may be using as a 'sort by column'.

Do you have a Calendar table in your model?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

If you leave the data grouped as 'January' then you risk having the following data all being grouped into one bucket which is probably not what you are after.

• January 2015
  • January 2016
  • January 2017

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.