Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

stribor45
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Date does not look the same

Can someone explain why this date doesn't look like three other dates even though I checked the type in the data view and it tells me that it is a date type. How can I fix this?

stribor45_0-1688069473860.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @stribor45 ,

I agree with vicky's reply. When you create a relationship between [Date] columns from two tables. For example, if your relationship is created from Fact table to Calendar table. Then the automatic date hierarchy will be removed from the related [Date] column in your Fact table.

In my sample, you see I create a relationship from Table [Column 1] to Calendar[Date], then the hierarchy in Table [Column 1] will be removed. Then the hierarchy in other date columns in Fact table will be keeped.

vrzhoumsft_0-1688458627163.png

Due to Calendar is a calculated table based on data model, I couldn't create a relationship from it to fact table, or Power BI will return a circule error. You can try to create a relationship between two fact tables to have a test.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
stribor45
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

The image above shows the dates that are only in one table but this table is related to another table of dates I made using this tutorial Calendar Table.

When I made the relationship between Calendar and the other table thats when that date become like that

What I am trying to do is make a relationship between these two tables so i can use dates from Calendar table in my visuals.

Hope that make sense

Hi @stribor45 ,

I agree with vicky's reply. When you create a relationship between [Date] columns from two tables. For example, if your relationship is created from Fact table to Calendar table. Then the automatic date hierarchy will be removed from the related [Date] column in your Fact table.

In my sample, you see I create a relationship from Table [Column 1] to Calendar[Date], then the hierarchy in Table [Column 1] will be removed. Then the hierarchy in other date columns in Fact table will be keeped.

vrzhoumsft_0-1688458627163.png

Due to Calendar is a calculated table based on data model, I couldn't create a relationship from it to fact table, or Power BI will return a circule error. You can try to create a relationship between two fact tables to have a test.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

vicky_
Super User
Super User

Do you have a relationship between a date table and the Date Requested field? The date heirarchy is removed from the many side when you do that - that is intended behaviour, as clarified here by someone at MS.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.