Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Clay82
Frequent Visitor

Data modelling issue

Hi all,

New to Power BI and have come across a dataset that I am exploring and have an issue that I don't know how to solve when it comes to modelling and building relationships. 

I was hoping to get some help from the community.

I have this table with three columns that I have renamed to "Inventory_Lookup" (see pic) that I'm not able to connect correctly. I have listed my questions below. 

- Is this  a lookup/dimension table? Or is it actually a fact/data table?

- How do I connect it properly since there are no unique values in the table? Have I done it the right way as shown in the picture (both directions from sales table to product_lookup and one to many from product_lookup to Inventory_lookup)?

Thanks in advance.

Inventory_table.PNGRelationships.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Clay82 ,

1. The Inventory_Lookup is not a dimension table. A dimension table only rows with unique key values. It is a FACT table I would say.
  2. Product_Lookup to Inventory_Lookup relationship looks right.
  3. Sales to Product_Lookup relationship depends on what you want to retrieve based on this relationship? Do you want to access details in SALES table using Product_ID from PRODUCT_LOOKUP table? If yes then this relationship will work. But suppose you are planning to retrive "Stock_On_Hand" information in Sales table then you can also consider a direct relationship between SALES and Inventory_Lookup.

But, yes all the relationships in a data model depend on what you re planning to analyse in your report and at what granularity.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Clay82 ,

1. The Inventory_Lookup is not a dimension table. A dimension table only rows with unique key values. It is a FACT table I would say.
  2. Product_Lookup to Inventory_Lookup relationship looks right.
  3. Sales to Product_Lookup relationship depends on what you want to retrieve based on this relationship? Do you want to access details in SALES table using Product_ID from PRODUCT_LOOKUP table? If yes then this relationship will work. But suppose you are planning to retrive "Stock_On_Hand" information in Sales table then you can also consider a direct relationship between SALES and Inventory_Lookup.

But, yes all the relationships in a data model depend on what you re planning to analyse in your report and at what granularity.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Many thanks @Pragati11 !

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.