Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sureshot
Helper I
Helper I

DAX expression I cannot get to work - please help.

12-12-2017 3-49-19 PM.png

Hi.

My first post.

So I have a matrix and on this matrix I am trying to calculate in DAX a field called % of Premium.

Please see pic above, for 2017 the % of Premium value for the Liability section should be 22.14% (175607198 / 793274434)

However given the following DAX formula I get 33.61% (175607198 / 52638561)

% of Premium = SUM('Agency Scorecard 3'[Earned Premium]) / CALCULATE(SUM('Agency Scorecard 3'[Earned Premium]), ALLSELECTED())

You may be asking why I'm not using SQL to do this and the fact is that running this calculation over SQL will get me spurious results. I really need to use the row total Power BI is using.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Here's what worked but I don't understand why!

I just added the red part and all worked.

% of Premium = DIVIDE(SUM('Agency Scorecard 3'[Earned Premium]), CALCULATE(SUM('Agency Scorecard 3'[Earned Premium]), ALLEXCEPT('Agency Scorecard 3','Agency Scorecard 3'[Loss Year]),'Agency Scorecard 3'[Summary Line ID],'Business Division'[BusinessDivisionID], VALUES('Business Division'[BusinessDivisionID])), 0)

Thanks all for your help in getting me on the right track.

Here's the post that explains why the Values function works so now I know.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/ALLEXCEPT-only-working-on-visible-row-context/td-p/18030

You keep adding for all your report (might work with page/visualisation filters I don;t know) filters as follows:

% of Premium = DIVIDE(SUM('Agency Scorecard 3'[Earned Premium]), CALCULATE( SUM('Agency Scorecard 3'[Earned Premium]), ALLEXCEPT('Agency Scorecard 3','Agency Scorecard 3'[Loss Year]),'Agency Scorecard 3'[Summary Line ID],'Business Division'[BusinessDivisionID], VALUES('Business Division'[BusinessDivisionID]), VALUES('Agent'[Agent Alternate 1]), VALUES('Agent'[Agent Alternate 2]), VALUES('Sub Producer'[Alt Sub Producer 2]), VALUES('Managing Unit'[Managing Unit Name]), VALUES(Office[Office]), VALUES('Product Line'[Product Line Name]), VALUES(Underwriter[Underwriter Name]) ),0)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Sureshot

Instead of ALLSELECTED()

could you try

Allexcept(TableName,TableName[LossYear])

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

Hi. Thanks but that gave 7.28% for the example I gave. I donlt even know how 7.28% is caculated.

Hi @Sureshot

Actually ALLSELECTED works on Totals. It does not impact Row and Column filters

Could you share your file via googledrive or onedrive?

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

I don;t yet have either of thse accounts but I can look into setting one up and sending my pbix file.

The thing is here I am looking to get row totals. AllSelected works great for columns but now row columns i.e. I need to get the 793,274,434 figure as the divisor.

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Have you tried using:

% of Premium = SUM('Agency Scorecard 3'[Earned Premium]) / CALCULATE(SUM('Agency Scorecard 3'[Earned Premium]), ALLSELECTED('Agency Scorecard 3'[Earned Premium]))?

For the row you've selected, you need to tell it what should remain unfiltered.  Your expression (ALLSELECTED()) is telling it to unfilter everything which results in the % of total, not row.

Thanks I tried that but it gave me 100% as 175607198 divided by itself is 1.

Is there a way to calculate the row total dynamically in DAX or somehow grab the 793274434 number as the divisor?

So I've tried the following which works if I change my underlying query to only point at the business division I have set in the report filter. Also if I remove that report filter it works. What is that about?

% of Premium = SUM('Agency Scorecard 3'[Earned Premium]) / CALCULATE(SUM('Agency Scorecard 3'[Earned Premium]), ALLEXCEPT('Agency Scorecard 3','Agency Scorecard 3'[Loss Year]),'Agency Scorecard 3'[Summary Line ID])

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Sorry that didn't work for you.  The article at https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/understanding-allselected/ helped me to better understand how to generate a correct row total DAX expression.  Especially when I realized you could have multiple ALLSELECTED (Table[Column]) statements in a CALCULATE statement.  I just had to play around a bit and was able to solve it with my set up.  Since I don't know how your data is really set up, I can't help you.

Here's what worked but I don't understand why!

I just added the red part and all worked.

% of Premium = DIVIDE(SUM('Agency Scorecard 3'[Earned Premium]), CALCULATE(SUM('Agency Scorecard 3'[Earned Premium]), ALLEXCEPT('Agency Scorecard 3','Agency Scorecard 3'[Loss Year]),'Agency Scorecard 3'[Summary Line ID],'Business Division'[BusinessDivisionID], VALUES('Business Division'[BusinessDivisionID])), 0)

Thanks all for your help in getting me on the right track.

Here's the post that explains why the Values function works so now I know.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/ALLEXCEPT-only-working-on-visible-row-context/td-p/18030

You keep adding for all your report (might work with page/visualisation filters I don;t know) filters as follows:

% of Premium = DIVIDE(SUM('Agency Scorecard 3'[Earned Premium]), CALCULATE( SUM('Agency Scorecard 3'[Earned Premium]), ALLEXCEPT('Agency Scorecard 3','Agency Scorecard 3'[Loss Year]),'Agency Scorecard 3'[Summary Line ID],'Business Division'[BusinessDivisionID], VALUES('Business Division'[BusinessDivisionID]), VALUES('Agent'[Agent Alternate 1]), VALUES('Agent'[Agent Alternate 2]), VALUES('Sub Producer'[Alt Sub Producer 2]), VALUES('Managing Unit'[Managing Unit Name]), VALUES(Office[Office]), VALUES('Product Line'[Product Line Name]), VALUES(Underwriter[Underwriter Name]) ),0)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.