Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DATEADD function

Greeting lovely members.

i used the function Dateadd and it seems like it's glitching  (im not sure tho)

Last year sales = CALCULATE(Fact_Sales[Sales Value],DATEADD(Dim_Date[Date],-1,YEAR)) 

=> normally here it will show the sales of last year , but when i put my results in a table it shows the sales of the next year which is the opposite (when i change -1 with 1 it shows the correct results ) 

Any idea ? Thanks in advance. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , If this is a measure

Last year sales = CALCULATE(Sum(Fact_Sales[Sales Value]),DATEADD(Dim_Date[Date],-1,YEAR)) 

or Sales Value is a measure. then your formula

if you need a new column , please share data

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Why Time Intelligence Fails - Power bi 5 Savior Steps for TI: https://youtu.be/OBf0rjpp5Hw

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , If this is a measure

Last year sales = CALCULATE(Sum(Fact_Sales[Sales Value]),DATEADD(Dim_Date[Date],-1,YEAR)) 

or Sales Value is a measure. then your formula

if you need a new column , please share data

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Why Time Intelligence Fails - Power bi 5 Savior Steps for TI: https://youtu.be/OBf0rjpp5Hw

Anonymous
Not applicable

First Thanks for your answer .

Rfrikha1992_0-1633341516186.png

that's my output . as you see LY Sales measure show sales of last year  so all good  . 

Rfrikha1992_1-1633341725040.png

my question here why it doesnt work when i put -1 in the interval and works when i put 1 ? 

@Anonymous , it should work. Just make a sure the year is from dim_Date, also it is marked as date table

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it is . 

i used an M function to build my DimTable . and the type of the column Dim_date[Date] is a Date.

The function DateAdd accept only Date column anyway.

Last year sales = CALCULATE((Fact_Sales[Sales Value]),DATEADD(Dim_Date[Date],1,YEAR)) => Shows the sales of last year.

Last year sales = CALCULATE((Fact_Sales[Sales Value]),DATEADD(Dim_Date[Date],-1,YEAR)) => 
Show the sales of next year .

is it better to create the Date table with Dax rather than M language ? thanks again for your answers.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.