Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Bansi008
Helper I
Helper I

Customize Filter guidance

Hi All,

I have a transaction data table with a huge number of records for several accounts. What I need is to identify which account + security ID is sold off in intra-month date. In the sample data below if we consider 03/07/2024 as month-end date then you probably see ACCOUNT_ID and SEC_ID 100 & 111 transactions are available from 1st to 7th March (considering 7th march is month-end). However, the same case is not with ACCOUNT_ID and SEC_ID 100 & 222 which is sold off on 03/03.

Is there a any way to just filter such records from the table using formula or DAX query? step wise guidance would be really helpful to handle such complex filter. 

Thanks!

Bansi008_0-1715164121843.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AnushaSri
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi,

I have understood , you are basically try to ignore thos Acc and Sec Id's whic are sold off before month end, if so, you can filter the data using Power query.

I have slightly changed your example data as follows to have the end of month data 

AnushaSri_1-1715183531494.png

Step-1 : create a duplicate of the table.
Step-2: on the duplicate table add all these steps in the advance editor 

#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Account_id", "Sec_ID"}, {{"Maxdate", each List.Max([Date]), type nullable date}}),
#"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Maxdate", "Maxdate - Copy"),
#"Calculated End of Month" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Duplicated Column",{{"Maxdate - Copy", Date.EndOfMonth, type date}}),
#"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Calculated End of Month", "Flag", each if [Maxdate] = [#"Maxdate - Copy"] then 1 else 0),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Conditional Column", each ([Flag] = 1)),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Maxdate", "Maxdate - Copy", "Flag"})

Which will leave you only the following ACCOUNT_ID and Sec_ID which are not sold off intra month 

AnushaSri_0-1715183400551.png

Step-3: Now go to original table and merge this table and create inner join as follows

#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"Account_id", "Sec_ID"}, #"Sheet1 (2)", {"Account_id", "Sec_ID"}, "Sheet1 (2)", JoinKind.Inner),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Merged Queries",{"Sheet1 (2)"})

And you see the filtered data.

Please accept this as solution and give kudos if it helps you solve your issue.
Thanks in advance

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
AnushaSri
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi,

I have understood , you are basically try to ignore thos Acc and Sec Id's whic are sold off before month end, if so, you can filter the data using Power query.

I have slightly changed your example data as follows to have the end of month data 

AnushaSri_1-1715183531494.png

Step-1 : create a duplicate of the table.
Step-2: on the duplicate table add all these steps in the advance editor 

#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Account_id", "Sec_ID"}, {{"Maxdate", each List.Max([Date]), type nullable date}}),
#"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Maxdate", "Maxdate - Copy"),
#"Calculated End of Month" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Duplicated Column",{{"Maxdate - Copy", Date.EndOfMonth, type date}}),
#"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Calculated End of Month", "Flag", each if [Maxdate] = [#"Maxdate - Copy"] then 1 else 0),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Conditional Column", each ([Flag] = 1)),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Maxdate", "Maxdate - Copy", "Flag"})

Which will leave you only the following ACCOUNT_ID and Sec_ID which are not sold off intra month 

AnushaSri_0-1715183400551.png

Step-3: Now go to original table and merge this table and create inner join as follows

#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"Account_id", "Sec_ID"}, #"Sheet1 (2)", {"Account_id", "Sec_ID"}, "Sheet1 (2)", JoinKind.Inner),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Merged Queries",{"Sheet1 (2)"})

And you see the filtered data.

Please accept this as solution and give kudos if it helps you solve your issue.
Thanks in advance

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.