Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

moshah

Customer orders and shipments by Calendar

Hello PBI experts,
I have 4 tables: Order, Shipment, Customers & Calendar.
moshah_1-1696872934830.png

The objective is to have a matrix which shows Customer orders and shipments by month as shown in the  image below.

moshah_2-1696873019018.png

However, I am unable to build a relationship including all 4 tables to achieve my objective.
Relationship:

moshah_3-1696873153954.png

As expected, the ship quantiles are not matching with the right customer. (Customer B missing, Customer A should gave '5' in February,  Customer B should gave '5' in March. 
Any ideas to resolve this issue and to get the desired matrix would be appreciated.
moshah_4-1696873225892.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@moshah there basic issues with your model:

1st, the dimension table (in your case Calendar and Customer) should have "one to many" relationships with orders and shipments. What does that mean, one date can have none or many orders, similarly for the shipments. Also, one customer can have no shipment/order or multiple shipments and orders.

2nd, cross filter direction should be set to dimension table to fact tables (shipments and orders), which means the calendar table will filter the shipments/order table, and the customer table will filter the shipment/order table, but not vice versa.

Once you have the above changes in your model, everything will be smooth and nice.

Cheers!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
moshah

Thank you!

Problem solved!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@moshah there basic issues with your model:

1st, the dimension table (in your case Calendar and Customer) should have "one to many" relationships with orders and shipments. What does that mean, one date can have none or many orders, similarly for the shipments. Also, one customer can have no shipment/order or multiple shipments and orders.

2nd, cross filter direction should be set to dimension table to fact tables (shipments and orders), which means the calendar table will filter the shipments/order table, and the customer table will filter the shipment/order table, but not vice versa.

Once you have the above changes in your model, everything will be smooth and nice.

Cheers!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.