Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

FredeGustavsen
Frequent Visitor

Custom Scenario slicer

Hi,
I would like to have a slicer that enables me to enter the amount of % that I would like to add to a specific forecast scenario.
I am currently using a 5 % interval with a dropdown option that allows me to select from -100% to 100%. This specific slicer option is used for my revenue overview rapport.
However I would like to have the option to just enter the exactly % that I need to add to the forecast scenario.
Do any of you know how to make this feature? Or anything close to it?

FredeGustavsen_0-1714992967748.png

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
samratpbi
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,

You can create a parameter to achieve this.

Go to Modeling -> New Parameter -> Numeric range

samratpbi_0-1714994180061.png

This will create a slicer like below and you can enter exact value also.

samratpbi_1-1714994231164.png

There would be a default measure created (Forecast Value = SELECTEDVALUE('Forecast'[Forecast], 0) ). You may use that measure and multiply with your actual value measure to get forecast value.

If this helps to resolve your problem then please mark it as solution, thanks!

View solution in original post

johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@FredeGustavsen 

To create a slicer that allows you to enter an exact percentage value rather than selecting from predefined intervals, you can use a text input box slicer in Power BI. Here's how you can achieve this:

1. **Create a New Slicer**:
- In your Power BI report, click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon.
- Select the "Slicer" option from the "Visualizations" section.
- Resize and position the slicer on your report canvas as needed.

2. **Add a Measure for Percentage Adjustment**:
- Create a new measure that captures the percentage adjustment entered in the slicer. You can use a DAX measure similar to the following:
```dax
Percentage Adjustment = SELECTEDVALUE('Percentage Slicer'[Percentage])
```
- Replace `'Percentage Slicer'` with the name of your slicer table, and `'Percentage'` with the name of the column that captures the percentage input.

3. **Configure the Slicer**:
- Drag the column containing percentage values into the "Fields" well of the slicer visual.
- Click on the slicer visual to select it.
- In the "Visualizations" pane, under the "Format" section, find the "Selection Controls" category.
- Toggle on the "Input text" option. This will allow users to enter a specific percentage value.

4. **Use the Percentage Adjustment Measure**:
- You can now use the "Percentage Adjustment" measure in your calculations and visuals to apply the percentage adjustment to your forecast scenario.

With this setup, users can enter an exact percentage value in the text input box of the slicer, providing flexibility in adjusting the forecast scenario. Make sure to format the slicer appropriately to guide users on how to input the percentage values (e.g., by providing an example or specifying the format).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

Hi, looks like you would need whole no always, hence better to generate the series as whole no. Please refer to my previous screenshot. Now I have limited the range between -100 to 100, you may change your range as per requirement.

If you need percentage increament, (lets say on top of actual), then you can multiply your measure created for actual with (1 + [Forecast Value]/100)

The previous parameter which I have created, I can see it is returning whichever value I am selecting in the slicer. (as you can see I have selected 51 in the slicer, and it is returning 51)

samratpbi_0-1715090162757.png

If this helps to resolve your problem, then please mark it as solution, Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@FredeGustavsen 

To create a slicer that allows you to enter an exact percentage value rather than selecting from predefined intervals, you can use a text input box slicer in Power BI. Here's how you can achieve this:

1. **Create a New Slicer**:
- In your Power BI report, click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon.
- Select the "Slicer" option from the "Visualizations" section.
- Resize and position the slicer on your report canvas as needed.

2. **Add a Measure for Percentage Adjustment**:
- Create a new measure that captures the percentage adjustment entered in the slicer. You can use a DAX measure similar to the following:
```dax
Percentage Adjustment = SELECTEDVALUE('Percentage Slicer'[Percentage])
```
- Replace `'Percentage Slicer'` with the name of your slicer table, and `'Percentage'` with the name of the column that captures the percentage input.

3. **Configure the Slicer**:
- Drag the column containing percentage values into the "Fields" well of the slicer visual.
- Click on the slicer visual to select it.
- In the "Visualizations" pane, under the "Format" section, find the "Selection Controls" category.
- Toggle on the "Input text" option. This will allow users to enter a specific percentage value.

4. **Use the Percentage Adjustment Measure**:
- You can now use the "Percentage Adjustment" measure in your calculations and visuals to apply the percentage adjustment to your forecast scenario.

With this setup, users can enter an exact percentage value in the text input box of the slicer, providing flexibility in adjusting the forecast scenario. Make sure to format the slicer appropriately to guide users on how to input the percentage values (e.g., by providing an example or specifying the format).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

samratpbi
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,

You can create a parameter to achieve this.

Go to Modeling -> New Parameter -> Numeric range

samratpbi_0-1714994180061.png

This will create a slicer like below and you can enter exact value also.

samratpbi_1-1714994231164.png

There would be a default measure created (Forecast Value = SELECTEDVALUE('Forecast'[Forecast], 0) ). You may use that measure and multiply with your actual value measure to get forecast value.

If this helps to resolve your problem then please mark it as solution, thanks!

Hi, 
Thanks for the help. However the entered value seems to have some kind of bug. When I type 1.1 in the scenario input box I get 101%. There seems to be a alot of decimals on the generated series that I have created, maybe that is what is causing the trouble?
The input box should generate 1% if I entered 1 and 759% if I entered 759. How do I get it to that?

FredeGustavsen_0-1715066880647.png

Hi, looks like you would need whole no always, hence better to generate the series as whole no. Please refer to my previous screenshot. Now I have limited the range between -100 to 100, you may change your range as per requirement.

If you need percentage increament, (lets say on top of actual), then you can multiply your measure created for actual with (1 + [Forecast Value]/100)

The previous parameter which I have created, I can see it is returning whichever value I am selecting in the slicer. (as you can see I have selected 51 in the slicer, and it is returning 51)

samratpbi_0-1715090162757.png

If this helps to resolve your problem, then please mark it as solution, Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.