Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SteelChampzz
Helper II
Helper II

Cumulative frequency percentage over two or more Tables in Power BI

I've been trying to find the right way to explain the issue that I'm having:

I have 2 Tables- "Fruit-Ordered" & "Fruit-Sold"

SteelChampzz_0-1665514560789.png

I've created a measure that puts both tables together in power bi

example:

SteelChampzz_1-1665514697780.png

In the "Total" Columns I've create "Cumulative Frequency Percentage" from excel.

Now I want to create a measure of "Cumulative Frequency Percentage" in Power BI, between the two tables I have.

Is this possible to create a measure from the TWO tables 

or

Do I need to create a "custom" table between the two.

I really hope I find the right answer for this, and thanks to anyone for the help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

if you want to not join the tables into one you will need to create a table of unique values of the product between the tables and then join the product (or fruit) in each transactional table to this middle table.  then you can have a join between the tables and easily aggregate both values against the product.  If you have a dates you will need to do the same with adding a date table in the middle of the 2 transactional tables.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

if you want to not join the tables into one you will need to create a table of unique values of the product between the tables and then join the product (or fruit) in each transactional table to this middle table.  then you can have a join between the tables and easily aggregate both values against the product.  If you have a dates you will need to do the same with adding a date table in the middle of the 2 transactional tables.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Thank you for responding to this!
It seems like a long process to do it this way but I totally understand

yep correct, modelling your data correctly while it may take a bit longer to set up (although there are ways and means to speeding this up) will make your life far easier in the long terrm however it just depends on what you need the model for.  For a quick answer to a model that is only required for adhoc analysis then just do a merge table in power query using a full outer join.

The data I used in the example was just a mock of what data I'm actually using.
There alot of "extra" step when it comes to cleaning the data in power query.
Thank you for the help and understanding when it comes to dealing with this issue

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.