Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

aavilap
Helper I
Helper I

Cummulative Total of Measure

Hello! 

Hope someone can help me with this I have been trying to create a measure that adds the monthly result of another calculated measure which uses COUNTROWS but I'm not being able to get the desired result, my measures are defined as follows:

Reached Customers = COUNTROWS(FILTER(VALUES('Monthly'[Customers]),AND('Monthly'[PY Salesl]>1,[TY Sales]>1)))

Cumm Reached Customers =

VAR EarliestDate = CALCULATE(MIN(Calendar[Month]),ALLSELECTED())
RETURN CALCULATE([Reached Customers],FILTER(ALL(CCalendar[Month]),Calendar[Month]<= MAX(Calendar[Month]) && Calendar[Month]>= EarliestDate))

With this I get the following result:

MonthReached CustomersCumm Reached CustomersDESIRED Result
01-Jan-17222222
01-Feb-17233456
01-Mar-173247103
01-Apr-172751154
01-May-173255209
01-Jun-173059268

As you see the Cumm Reached measure is only adding the different customers from each month, however what I need is for it to add month by month result (as shown in column DESIRED Result), I understand this is not working because my original measure "New Customers" is using COUNTROWS and VALUES thus filtering only distinct values, which is actually what I need for that measure, the problem comes when trying to add those values. 

Please help! 

Thanks!

Ale 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Create two measures:

Distinct Customers = DISTINCTCOUNT('Sample'[Customer])

Cummulative Customers = 
SUMX(
FILTER(ALL('Sample'[Date]), 'Sample'[Date] <= MAX('Sample'[Date])),
[Distinct Customers]
)

Drop date, and these two measures in a table and you have it.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
parry2k
Super User
Super User

I believe you need to use SUMX to calculate cummulative count of your customers

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@parry2k I've tried using SUMX in my formula :

Clientes Toc_ACC = VAR EarliestD = CALCULATE(MIN(Calendario[Mes]),ALLSELECTED())
RETURN CALCULATE(SUMX('Monthly SellOut',[Clientes Tocados]),FILTER(ALL(Calendario[Mes]),Calendario[Mes]<= MAX(Calendario[Mes]) && Calendario[Mes]>= EarliestD)) 

But I get some really weird results: 

MonthReached CustomersCumm Reached CustomersUsing SUMXDESIRED Result
01-Jan-17222222322
01-Feb-17233431556
01-Mar-173247376103
01-Apr-172751415154
01-May-173255523209
01-Jun-173059615268

It is adding something but it is not making sense 😞

Check out my article on Groups and Super Groups as this has a very similar issue to solve. Generally, use SUMMARIZE to generate a table with your measure and then use an X aggregator like SUMX, AVERAGEX, etc. to return the value you are seeking:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Design-Pattern-Groups-and-Super-Groups/ba-p/138149

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Are you ok to share sample data in Excel file and share it thru google drive/onedrive and will gt back to you with solution.

@parry2k Sure, I've created a sample PBIX showing the issue, in the following link: PBIX & Data Sample 

It's a one drive link, this will not show the numbers I had in the example because I was using my real data, would share it but it has a lot of measures and they are not named as in the example, I'm afraid it would be easy to get lost :s

Please let me know if you find a way ! thanks!!

Is this what you are looking for :

customer cummulative.PNG

@parry2k Yes that would be it!

Create two measures:

Distinct Customers = DISTINCTCOUNT('Sample'[Customer])

Cummulative Customers = 
SUMX(
FILTER(ALL('Sample'[Date]), 'Sample'[Date] <= MAX('Sample'[Date])),
[Distinct Customers]
)

Drop date, and these two measures in a table and you have it.

Thanks!

Hello! 

Hope someone can help me with this I have been trying to create a measure that adds the monthly result of another calculated measure which uses COUNTROWS but I'm not being able to get the desired result, my measures are defined as follows:

Reached Customers = COUNTROWS(FILTER(VALUES('Monthly'[Customers]),AND('Monthly'[PY Salesl]>1,[TY Sales]>1)))

Cumm Reached Customers =

VAR EarliestDate = CALCULATE(MIN(Calendar[Month]),ALLSELECTED())
RETURN CALCULATE([Reached Customers],FILTER(ALL(CCalendar[Month]),Calendar[Month]<= MAX(Calendar[Month]) && Calendar[Month]>= EarliestDate))

With this I get the following result:

MonthReached CustomersCumm Reached CustomersDESIRED Result
01-Jan-17222222
01-Feb-17233456
01-Mar-173247103
01-Apr-172751154
01-May-173255209
01-Jun-173059268

As you see the Cumm Reached measure is only adding the different customers from each month, however what I need is for it to add month by month result (as shown in column DESIRED Result), I understand this is not working because my original measure "New Customers" is using COUNTROWS and VALUES thus filtering only distinct values, which is actually what I need for that measure, the problem comes when trying to add those values. 

Please help! 

Thanks!

Ale 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.