Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

sivarajan21
Post Patron
Post Patron

Creating an efficient semantic modeling

Hi

I need your help in creating a semantic modeling for the below tables:

I have below 7 tables and their names are:

Unify Budget

Unify Meter Location

Unify Budget Output

Bridging Table

EM DataElectricity

EM Misc Charges

EM Contacts

EM Points

Now above set of unify tables needs to connected with EM set of tables through the Bridging table.

Could you please help me with that sir?

PFA file here Example Extract.xlsx

Thanks in advance!

@marcorusso @Ahmedx @Greg_Deckler @amitchandak 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jianpeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @sivarajan21 

I looked at your example file and you should use the ID column of the bridge table to connect to the corresponding ID column of the other table. Your relationship should be one-to-many or many-to-one, avoiding one-to-one and many-to-many. Here's a view of possible relationships:

vjianpengmsft_0-1715738863451.png

You should understand what a relationship means and what it does:

vjianpengmsft_1-1715739222350.png

It is recommended that you read the following articles to understand the background of the relationship and then build an appropriate relationship according to your actual needs. In your bridging table, the ID field may be a good connection key.

Many-to-One or Many-to-Many? The Cardinality of Power BI Relationship Demystified - RADACAD

What is the Direction of Relationship in Power BI? - RADACAD

UseRelationship or Role-Playing Dimension; Dealing with Inactive Relationships in Power BI - RADACAD

In addition, you may also need a date sheet. You can use DAX expressions to create a date calculation table so that you can filter the data by date later.

Benefits of using a calendar table in Power BI - Data Bear - Power BI Training and Consulting

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards

Jianpeng Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jianpeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @sivarajan21 

I looked at your example file and you should use the ID column of the bridge table to connect to the corresponding ID column of the other table. Your relationship should be one-to-many or many-to-one, avoiding one-to-one and many-to-many. Here's a view of possible relationships:

vjianpengmsft_0-1715738863451.png

You should understand what a relationship means and what it does:

vjianpengmsft_1-1715739222350.png

It is recommended that you read the following articles to understand the background of the relationship and then build an appropriate relationship according to your actual needs. In your bridging table, the ID field may be a good connection key.

Many-to-One or Many-to-Many? The Cardinality of Power BI Relationship Demystified - RADACAD

What is the Direction of Relationship in Power BI? - RADACAD

UseRelationship or Role-Playing Dimension; Dealing with Inactive Relationships in Power BI - RADACAD

In addition, you may also need a date sheet. You can use DAX expressions to create a date calculation table so that you can filter the data by date later.

Benefits of using a calendar table in Power BI - Data Bear - Power BI Training and Consulting

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards

Jianpeng Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jianpeng-msft ,

Many thanks for your solution!

This works and i will accept this as a solution

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.