Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

eugenm
Helper II
Helper II

Creating a secondary table that pulls data from a local on

So, I have one table that pulls in 3mil+ rows with lots of columns - lots of data and lots of calculations.
I need to manage the madness somehow, refresh wise and continuing development, as I have to make some updates.

One thing that I am trying to do is to keep the data pull to populate the main table.

So, say that's tableA, using as a source the remote dB.

I am trying to use a tableB that pulls data from tableA, as opposed to from the remote source dB.

I am doing this by using:

let
Source = tableA
in
Source

Yet, when I do a data refresh in my desktop app, from the data load progress message I see that both tables are still pulling data form the remote dB. After that, tableB does another refresh - yet again pulling info from the remote dB ????
I'm at a loss on how to force tableB to refresh its data from the locally imported data into tableA.

How can I fix this?
Even preview refreshes take forever, as they pull data from the remote source every-single-time. Sigh

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It caches what it loaded but it doesn't allow you to "add on" to that.  Power BI Desktop only supports flush and fill  (obligatory comment:  While semantic model self referencing is possible it is not recommended).

Correct, Incremental Refresh is a service thing, not very relevant on the Desktop. On the Desktop you can use RangeStart and RangeEnd to limit the amount of development data.

Creating a dataflow - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Power BI has no memory.  You need to either make your data source faster, or you need to think about dataflows or incremental refresh.

Hmm, never knew. I thought that it cashes what's loading.
Not sure what you mean by the data flows? 
Incremental refresh will only help once I publish the dash, not during development in my PBI Desktop, right?

It caches what it loaded but it doesn't allow you to "add on" to that.  Power BI Desktop only supports flush and fill  (obligatory comment:  While semantic model self referencing is possible it is not recommended).

Correct, Incremental Refresh is a service thing, not very relevant on the Desktop. On the Desktop you can use RangeStart and RangeEnd to limit the amount of development data.

Creating a dataflow - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.