Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

vyogi
Frequent Visitor

Creating a ("derived") table w/atributes and aggregation func

I'm a database developer relatively new to PowerBI and the extensive DAX library. Im trying to understand whether or not I can generate a "derived table" from a table visualization I created. For example, I have a table viz with the following attributes and aggregation function - RanchNumber (tbl 1), Cycle (tbl2), Account (tbl3), and Amount (tbl4, SUM() aggregation function). These tables are all related. I have a similar data set from 3 tables and 2 aggregate functions (MAX() and MIN()).

I want to extend these data sets to their own tables for reference.

Ive been researching the issue but with more simplified scenarios using SUMMARIZE, SUMMARIZECOLUMNS - Im unclear about the aggregation part - not sure if these functions are the wrong direction or if I need nested functions. If nested, how to leverage the relationship?

Much gratitude for guidance in advanced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vyogi ,

1. If you want to sellect different columns and measures from different tables to generate a new calculated table, you can use SUMMARIZE or SUMMARIZECOLUMNSAnd this post may be a bit helpful too.

2. If you want to add calculated columns to the given table or table expression, you can use ADDCOLUMNS.

3. If you want to create a table with the Cartesian product, you can use GENERATE.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vyogi ,

It would be great if you could tell me what you wanted in a concrete example.

Best Regards,

Icey

vyogi
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Icey, thank you for the response. Sure, here are a couple example of table visualizations Im referring to - Id like to create tables featuring these attributes and aggregations in power bi, the application would be to leverage such tables for lookup and budget analysis.

2019-10-16 13_07_21-AgPOC 2.2 - Power BI Desktop.png

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vyogi ,

Do you mean that you want to convert your table visualizations to calculated tables?

If so, please give me some sample data and your measures. 

Best Regards,

Icey

vyogi
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Icey , Yes, Id like to convert the visualizations to tables; I suppose this would be a "calculated table" which is a new concept for me.

Example of data for first table is Ranch.RanchNumber, Cycle.CycleDesc, Max Date (measure), Min Date (Measure). Measures are simple and straight forward: Max Date = MAX(Production[week ending]) and Min Date = Min(Production[week ending])

Second table is Ranch.RanchNumber, Account.AccountDesc and Account.Amount. No measures.
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vyogi ,

1. If you want to sellect different columns and measures from different tables to generate a new calculated table, you can use SUMMARIZE or SUMMARIZECOLUMNSAnd this post may be a bit helpful too.

2. If you want to add calculated columns to the given table or table expression, you can use ADDCOLUMNS.

3. If you want to create a table with the Cartesian product, you can use GENERATE.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

vyogi
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the responses and help Icey

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.