Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create Slicer by column names

I need some help with this scenario...

I have PowerBi report which its source is Direct Query to a SQL Database where sensors data are stored. The generated columns have the following names: INV1_X1, INV1_X2, INV1_X3, INV2_X1, INV2_X2, INV2_X3, INV3_X1, INV3_X2, INV3_X3. I want to have a slicer that is generated by the first four letters of the above columns so that the user can click the label "INV1" and see the data of INV1 device and so on.

Is it possible?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @Anonymous 

Field parameter is a preview feature. 

Let report readers use field parameters to change visuals (preview) 

Please make sure you have downloaded the latest version of PowerBI Desktop and enable 'Field parameters' in  Options and settings.

veasonfmsft_0-1669372282358.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak 

Thanks for the immediate answer, but before further searching I don't have the field parameter in the "New Parameter" option in "Modelling" tab.

pbi-scrn.png

Hi, @Anonymous 

Field parameter is a preview feature. 

Let report readers use field parameters to change visuals (preview) 

Please make sure you have downloaded the latest version of PowerBI Desktop and enable 'Field parameters' in  Options and settings.

veasonfmsft_0-1669372282358.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Check if Field parameters can help

Power BI Field Parameters — A Quick way for Dynamic Visuals: https://amitchandak.medium.com/power-bi-field-parameters-a-quick-way-for-dynamic-visuals-fc4095ae9afd
Power BI Field Parameters- Measure Slicer and Axis/Dimension slicer: https://youtu.be/lqF3Wa1FllE

You can rename display name , once field parameter table is displayed

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.