Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Marke525
Frequent Visitor

Create Measures tutorial not working

I am trying to follow the tutorial and have come across this problem:  In the tutorial a matrix table is created like this:

Marke525_0-1594675251829.png

It is revenue over month and year.  When I create the table and add revenue, it does this:

Marke525_1-1594675332964.png

How do I get it to show the data by month and year, instead of lumping it all into a single sum.  I have no filters on, I've only placed MonthName in the rows box, Year in the columns box and Revenue in the values box.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Thanks for providing the pbix file.  The issue is that the Date column in your date table only has the month and day (no year).  If you make the relationship to the Date2 column instead, and make sure both the Date2 in the Date table and Date column in your Sales table both have data type Date, your visual will work correctly.  One of those two columns was text format, so needed to be changed.

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Thanks for providing the pbix file.  The issue is that the Date column in your date table only has the month and day (no year).  If you make the relationship to the Date2 column instead, and make sure both the Date2 in the Date table and Date column in your Sales table both have data type Date, your visual will work correctly.  One of those two columns was text format, so needed to be changed.

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

That was perfect, well explained advice.  Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

That looks like a bad join between Sales and Dates.  Can you share your .pbix file?  Upload it to OneDrive or DropBox and share the link here.

Thanks for the response.  Here is the link to the pbix file:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmbVtuwcY2bdggOtRnM-cxJerROb?e=MXpXOm

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.