Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ZealandZu
Frequent Visitor

Counting sick days into occurences

Hi i have search for this answer already but cant find anything on it

In power BI, how would I make a table like this:

Employee

Sick Date

Hours

29/9/23

2/10/23

3/10/23

15/8/23

2/10/23

2/8/23

3/7/23

Look like this:

Employee

Start Date

End Date

Hours

Days Off

15/8/23

15/8/23

29/9/23

3/10/23

3/7/23

3/7/23

2/8/23

2/8/23

2/10/23

2/10/23

Now initially I thought this is just group by, min max date etc, however it has to take into account that if two dates are separated by a weekend, that even though the weekend row won’t show up in the table, it still needs to be included then combined into one occurrence. So if someone has one day off, that’s one occurrence, then next month for instance, they had a Friday and the following Monday off, it would say they have had another occurrence and that they had 4 days off work on that occurrence, even though technically they’ve only had two days off as they don’t work the weekend. Then months later, they have a Monday to Friday off, this would then be another occurrence, having 5 days off. 

Now I’m happy if someone is able to help me up to this point as this is the crucial part I’m struggling with. However if you wish to help me on the following extra steps that would be amazing.

Okay so now if i do have a table like the one I’m after, is it possible to have an occurrence count in the last 12 months. So, let’s call our employee Jeff. He starts for my company on the 1st Jan 2020. Then on the 1st Feb he is ill for a week, that’s occurrence number 1 and he had had 5 days off. Then 1st November, he is ill again, this time for just one day. That’s occurrence number 2 and he has had 6 days off in total. Now Jeff is ill on 1st march 2021, he is now on occurrence number 2, as the time he was ill back in 1st Feb 2020 is now longer than 12 months ago, so it doesn’t count towards his sick anymore, but his one back in November is still within 12 months, so that one becomes occurrence number 1.

Now I’m ecstatic if you help me up to that point, however if you can solve this next one, you may be receiving my nomination for some sort of Nobel Prize.

Now let’s say Barry joined the company 5 years ago, and he has 2 days off in March, then 4 months later he has 3 days off, 4 months later he has 3 days off, 5 months later he has 3 days off, 4 months later he has another 2 days off.  How would I go about predicting the probability Barry will be sick in the next 3 to 4 months is highly likely, say 90%, where as if he has just been sick, then the likelihood is much lower, getting more and more likely leading up to that 4 month point. And if he hasn't been sick after 4 months, he would be at 99% likely. I’m hoping to use this to roll up a sick forecast, so I know that as a whole, in the next month, I should expect 5 people to be off for about 100 hours, then in 2 months’ time, 10 people are predicted to be off equalling 200 hours, so that work can be planned accordingly. Again this one is not required and i will mark this post as solved once the 1st part of the question is answered. 

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
TBNPieter
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I have the exact same problem that weekend days should be counted if they are within or enclosed in a sickness period.
Trying to calculate the number of sick days but also the number of sickness periods so I can make a bradford for Sickdays.

If you have found a solution, please enlighten us. If I do find something, I will post it here.

Fingers crossed! 🙂 

No unfortunately I have not found a solution to this problem. Ive all but given up hope. However if you do, please let me know 🙂

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ZealandZu ,

You can refer the following links to try to find the solution:

Solved: Calculating total number of sick days this month - Microsoft Fabric Community

How to list all dates between two dates in PowerBI and distribute numbers evenly among them. - Cloud...

Solved: Calculating sick days - Microsoft Fabric Community

If the above ones can't help you get the expected result, could you please provide the specific examples to explain every requirement? Thank you.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

These dont help as my issues is due to the fact that if someone is ill on a friday and subsequently still off ill on the monday also, that would be classed as only one occurence still whereas all the links you provided dont take that into account. As for specific requirement, im not sure how to ask it in a different way that isnt already in my original post. Sorry

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.