Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Flavio2021
Frequent Visitor

Count recurrence text in a every row of a column

Hi 

I would like to reach the follow result: in a text colum where every row contain a special phrase, count the time is present it

in the table below an example: in the first row is present  2

Reference idNotes HistoryCount Solution given
5658Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Non ipsa saepe quo magnam omnis ut minus labore non assumenda galisum aut rerum rerum et deleniti vitae et odit nemo. **bleep** consectetur rep
Action Type : Solution Given
non quisquam voluptatem ut unde veritatis?

Eum quis nisi eum quasi ipsa et culpa incidunt. Et laudantium sunt au
5599blanditiis neque aut cumque quaerat est esse obcaecati quo ratione sint. Rem quia dolorem et praesentium possimus qui optio fugiat ea error numquam et doloribus harum. Et perferendis optio et
autem aspernatur a voluptas officiis et galisum sit laudantium soluta. Ut officiis dicta nam inventore est quam omnis eos maxime ut sunt rerum sit dicta quasi aut dolores fuga.
Rem fugit possimus sit itaque Quis non ratione rerum sed galisum ipsum nam voluptatibus sequi! Sed fugiat tempore sed inventore dolorem aut dolorum minima nostrum
tempora sit perspiciatis quos? Et rerum expedita in ipsam quisquam

9653Vel magni iste vel labore unde sit accusamus atque corrupti voluptatem et reprehenderit error et facilis Quis. 33 molestiae dolorem ea reiciendis laboriosam aut esse veritatis nam itaque quod.0

Have you suggestion how to create a measure or a power query column ?   Else, because this manipulation are not yet my friends, can you suggest some resources ?

Thank you in advance !

Fla

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
edhans
Super User
Super User

See the following code. It returns this:

edhans_0-1643762330231.png

1. Text.Split breaks each line at a carraige return.
  2. List.FindText returns all lines with the desired text - "Solution Given" in this case.
  3. List.Count counts the lines.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("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", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Reference id" = _t, Text = _t]),
    #"Added Count" = 
        Table.AddColumn(
            Source, 
            "Solution Given", 
            each 
                List.Count(
                    List.FindText(
                        Text.Split([Text], Character.FromNumber(10)),
                        "Solution Given"
                    )
                )
        )
in
    #"Added Count"

Note that Power Query is case sensitive, so "Solution Given" will not match "SOLUTION GIVEN"

How to use M code provided in a blank query:
1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

Flavio2021
Frequent Visitor

Hi Edhans 

apologize for the delay of my reply but has been necessary to me learn a little more on how you have reached the solution.  thank you a lot for you support !!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Flavio2021
Frequent Visitor

Hi Edhans 

apologize for the delay of my reply but has been necessary to me learn a little more on how you have reached the solution.  thank you a lot for you support !!

edhans
Super User
Super User

See the following code. It returns this:

edhans_0-1643762330231.png

1. Text.Split breaks each line at a carraige return.
  2. List.FindText returns all lines with the desired text - "Solution Given" in this case.
  3. List.Count counts the lines.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("jVNLbxNBDP4rJseoyqVKRbkgDhUXhAQFLk0PzqzTWtrxbOYRwb/n80zT9IRQlWp3x2N/Lz88rLY32/erq9WXlCWSLqVFmtKcMhWtxFHqhr4m8xOmwrIIHVuiyE/GkVI0LdQqRbVWaOY92pChngs6iU1MTzyrd2WUZcl4Gv+l0iSzmFalk1YW/5ImTDWJaUPr9X4WWdZrCsmKhCq1ZdxddvYpVMWMH3+A5gPdp7n19896EtuZjz82LccGhCccLpUryGF+s0noJBnjqpaPO7sDEK8l8FCS/sZ46nSBJ7R5YVILOjWDFHcVJNvEVhW1Bd/A69+AVo9XUHl7ewuV9zMbGKoPlGOTLkpo0R8xWDJXkuK/IpT2gSUAaFccR2gpsMVxfJeOm4dX0tVcMkuRgWxJpWiEJSiitOAqHdqTenvwyhn+mo/l4YM30T3KnxnWdJqL5INkOAiso4HUnQEvhnHBqbH7wWeFUXU4aHBq6Hg23UP0VjBXhjf0s16qJw2VydOkBrmqJ8g16OBGwCQVJO63RnETu+ojQ95+3B+2uZxDkeJ8ebMzV8qp14smfgsJcNG/de9h1Vnel74yvVIYO2FvstSVKvBP39E9Kl+UhTKLg/fLFypng16hoRm2RSM4p1LxurP/CNDtzfYaAfolc989JLRUj/J8Xroe7b6zIbTCzpOrUwwpZ8DWt6sgLuCS5Rn++ja8RAKfDxwUvLswG7q+pphmuKF8YYIEZYF3Ixt9vCZM7BR7cl83bNg6pEaIp41z9b/V4+Nf", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Reference id" = _t, Text = _t]),
    #"Added Count" = 
        Table.AddColumn(
            Source, 
            "Solution Given", 
            each 
                List.Count(
                    List.FindText(
                        Text.Split([Text], Character.FromNumber(10)),
                        "Solution Given"
                    )
                )
        )
in
    #"Added Count"

Note that Power Query is case sensitive, so "Solution Given" will not match "SOLUTION GIVEN"

How to use M code provided in a blank query:
1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

hi edhans

Excelent job  and clear information...but a little to high level for me so far . I have replicate your example and it work, now how I can change the source where to apply it ?  Power Query is not yet my friend and Advance editor is the first time that I am looking in.  How i can change the source taken in consideration that my data are in an excel file, where other the several columns is present also Count Solution given

thak you in advance for this additional step....in meantime I a mgoing to learn that area 

See the link in my answer in step 5. It is an article and even video on how to move the logic of what I did to connect with your M code.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.