Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Bharathi_99
Helper IV
Helper IV

Count Increased after Left join

Hello all,
I have two tables

Cntry, parts
In parts there are 30 columns and in cntry only 2 columns. I am doing Left join based on cntry_abb matching column in both tables Left tables is Parts and expaned the column Cntry_desc into parts table after join
I have 3.78M records in left table but after join it became 3.84, 8K difference  I am getting. 

How to get rid of this count increase issue?

Please Help

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Bharathi_99 if you are linking from cntry table to part tables it will increase the count since there are duplicate in part table,

but if you are doing from part table to cntry table then the count of parts table will remain the same. It is very basic thing, not sure what is the confusion here.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Bharathi_99 if you are linking from cntry table to part tables it will increase the count since there are duplicate in part table,

but if you are doing from part table to cntry table then the count of parts table will remain the same. It is very basic thing, not sure what is the confusion here.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Bharathi_99 it will increase the count:

assuming this

cntry table has following records:

USA 

Canada

Product table has following records

USA

USA

Canada

Canada

and based on the above if you do a left join you will get 4 records because of duplicate in the Product table. 

For example

CNTRY TABLE:

CNTRY_ABBCNTRY_NAME
AUAUSTRALIA
SPSPAIN
EGEGYPT
CACANADA

PARTS TABLE:

CNTRT_ABBPART NUMID
AU10541
AU10562
SP10573
EG10573
CA10534
CA10524

If I am expanding only CNTRY_NAME Column into Parts table for CNTRY_ABB

How the values counts are increasing then...

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Bharathi_99 you have probably duplicate cntry_abb in parts tables.

Hi @parry2k , I will be having duplicates too, but I don't know how count increased and why...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.