Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

sjhand
Frequent Visitor

Converting a payroll data Measure into a Table Column

Hi there,

I am looking to find a way to speed up a measure that converts bi-weekly data into monthly. But the problem is that the measure takes a long time to calculate with the amount of data. I think that the best solution is to pre-calculate into table columns. So, I am looking to host the measure's end result as a table column (or two?) for a faster payroll report, and to be able to share the table with other reports.

I am working with payroll data, which comes on a bi-weekly basis. The measure below takes this bi-weekly data, and converts into monthly. In the measure, [Bi-Weekly Earnings] is my data field, and I have Start & End date fields that specify the dates covered by the payroll. I got this measure with help from this forum.

~Bi-Weekly Earnings by Month =

CALCULATE(

SUMX(

SUMMARIZE(

filter(

CROSSJOIN('2022 Payroll Reports','Date'),

'Date'[Date] >= '2022 Payroll Reports'[2022 Payroll Calendar.Start Date] && 'Date'[Date] <=

'2022 Payroll Reports'[2022  Payroll Calendar.End Date]),'2022 Payroll Reports'[Index],'Date'[Date],

'2022 Payroll Reports'[[Bi-Weekly Earnings]]],'2022 Payroll Reports'[2022 Payroll Calendar.Start Date],

'2022 Payroll Reports'[2022 Payroll Calendar.End Date]),

DIVIDE('2022 Payroll Reports'[[Bi-Weekly Earnings]]],

DATEDIFF('2022 Payroll Reports'[2022 Payroll Calendar.Start Date],

'2022 Payroll Reports'[2022 Payroll Calendar.End   Date],day)+1)

)

)

Visual of raw data:

sjhand_0-1672230471970.png

The result of the measure:

sjhand_1-1672230513129.png

How can I convert this measure into a table column? Since many payrolls overlap two months, do I need two or more columns to hold the amounts for each month?

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@amitchandakthis is great. I am looking at the tables method and hoping to use the GENERATE function.

I have start and end dates in the data and should be able to use GENERATE to replicate each row 14 times as each payroll covers 14 days.

Now how can I distribute some of the payroll cost fields into each of the replicated rows? Can I simply nest my current measure into the GENERATE function?

For example, I used GENERATE for one of the payrolls that covers 7 days in the example below and it created 7 rows, which makes sense. How can I split [Bi-Weekly Earnings], [Total Hours], etc. 7 ways into each one of the dates?

sjhand_0-1672316944388.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.