Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Chaithanya89
Frequent Visitor

Convert kg, tons, lbs in new measure with Switch function

Dear Community,

I have a table which consists of 2 column with weight and respective weight units either KG or LB. And would like get help on DAX to create a new column measure which calculate all the weight in tonnes. 

How can I have the solution in the following forms

1. using switch function to convert lbs and kgs into tonnes

2. use a reference table to get the solution and enable the users on the visual to toggle between tonnes and lbs

Product IDBase Unitproduced quantity
12345kg690
54321lb580
67890lb450
98765kg500
15983kg625
38951kg548

THe sample pbix file is saved in the following location.

Pbix sample file 

Thanks for your attention and appreciate any help given. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @Chaithanya89 ,

There are several approaches to this problem. You can use SWITCH or field parameters. For the former, you need to create a disconnected table (without relationship to fact table) that will serve as holder of the switch measure. Please see sample DAX formulas below:

Base Unit Table = 
DATATABLE ( "Unit", STRING, "Sort", INTEGER, { { "lbs", 1 }, { "tonnes", 2 } } )
lbs or tonnes = 
SWITCH (
    SELECTEDVALUE ( BaseUnit[Unit] ),
    "lbs", [Quantity (lbs)],
    "tonnes", [Quantity (tonnes)]
)

Please see attached pbix for the details

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

I'm enable to updload a pbix for some reason - but please see link here to my google drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fF-qCpz3HXZRLTkTlgHyjpr-H14JmuHn/view?usp=sharing

Thank you

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
calculating
Frequent Visitor

In Power BI, you can use the SWITCH function to convert between different units of weight, such as kilograms (kg), tons, and pounds (lbs). Here's an example of how you can use the SWITCH function:

Weight (New Measure) =
SWITCH(TRUE(),
'Table'[Unit] = "kg", 'Table'[Weight] * 2.20462, // Convert kg to lbs
'Table'[Unit] = "tons", 'Table'[Weight] * 2204.62, // Convert tons to lbs
'Table'[Unit] = "lbs", 'Table'[Weight], // Leave lbs as it is
BLANK() // Return blank for other units
)

Weight (New Measure) =
SWITCH(TRUE(),
'Table'[Unit] = "kg", 'Table'[Weight] * 2.20462, // Convert kg to lbs
'Table'[Unit] = "tons", 'Table'[Weight] * 2204.62, // Convert tons to lbs
'Table'[Unit] = "lbs", 'Table'[Weight], // Leave lbs as it is
BLANK() // Return blank for other units
)

In the above example, replace 'Table' with the actual name of your table, 'Unit' with the name of the column containing the unit of weight, and 'Weight' with the name of the column containing the weight values.

The SWITCH function checks the value of the 'Unit' column and performs the appropriate conversion based on the condition. It multiplies the 'Weight' column by the conversion factor to convert the weight to the desired unit.

Note that the conversion factors used in the example are approximate values. You may need to adjust them based on your specific conversion requirements.

Chaithanya89
Frequent Visitor

Thanks a lot for your help

pi_eye
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi Chaithanya

Another solution could be to create a many to many reference table which you join to the data table

pi_eye_0-1665063050341.png

Join using Base Unit to the main table:

pi_eye_1-1665063073276.png

If you create a filter based on "preffered unit" and set it to one selected value - this means that for every value of base unit, there is only one corresponding row in the rerference table.

The expression is then: 

Quantity, preferred unit = sumx( Weights   Weights[produced quantity] / FIRSTNONBLANK(Query1[Divide By],0 )

pi_eye_2-1665063182514.png

The advantage of this is more flexibility, should you wish to add more conversions.

Pi

I'm enable to updload a pbix for some reason - but please see link here to my google drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fF-qCpz3HXZRLTkTlgHyjpr-H14JmuHn/view?usp=sharing

Thank you

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @Chaithanya89 ,

There are several approaches to this problem. You can use SWITCH or field parameters. For the former, you need to create a disconnected table (without relationship to fact table) that will serve as holder of the switch measure. Please see sample DAX formulas below:

Base Unit Table = 
DATATABLE ( "Unit", STRING, "Sort", INTEGER, { { "lbs", 1 }, { "tonnes", 2 } } )
lbs or tonnes = 
SWITCH (
    SELECTEDVALUE ( BaseUnit[Unit] ),
    "lbs", [Quantity (lbs)],
    "tonnes", [Quantity (tonnes)]
)

Please see attached pbix for the details

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.