Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Roo_The_Poo
Frequent Visitor

Connecting to a sql server via a on prem gateway

I would like to create and publish a report that has a data connection to an sql server via a on prem gateway.

The gateway is already set up and works in conjunction with Sharepoint.

My issue is I am unsure how to connect the data via the gateway when designing the report.  I am able to create the report, using a local sql connection, successfully "onsite" but as soon as I publish it to my workplace the data connection is obviously lost.

The data needs to refresh constantly so static data is not an option

Just starting off so don't give me too much stick 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Roo_The_Poo
Frequent Visitor

I sorted this out myself.  It turned out that I hadn't quite got the data connection right.  after fixing this all was working correctly again

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Roo_The_Poo
Frequent Visitor

I sorted this out myself.  It turned out that I hadn't quite got the data connection right.  after fixing this all was working correctly again

AnkitKukreja
Super User
Super User

Hi! @Roo_The_Poo 

Please try following the doc. If SQL is on prem then you need the gateway but if its on cloud then you don't need a gateway.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-sql-tutorial#connect-a-datase...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fejSQmshwrE

If my response has successfully addressed your question or concern, I kindly request that you mark this post as resolved. Additionally, if you found my assistance helpful, a thumbs-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
www.linkedin.com/in/ankit-kukreja1904

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.