Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RMDNA
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Conditional formatting in bulk (or formatting painter)

Hi all, just a quick question - I already know how to apply conditional formatting (in this case background coloring based on rules), but I'm looking to highlight all fields in a row. There's a lot of fields.

Do I really need to apply it field-by-field? If so, is there at least some way to copy conditional formatting rules (similar to format painter), or do I need to do the same "change style to rule, change base field, change values, change color via hex code" 10 different times?

3 REPLIES 3
v-yaningy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @RMDNA 

According to your description, you would like to find a feature in PowerBI similar to the formatting brush in Excel for easy formatting, unfortunately, as of the current version, Power BI does not have a feature similar to the Excel formatting brush. You can submit an idea for here and the product team will take note of such a need.

Related Link: New tab (powerbi.com)

However, you can try the following workaround:

1.DAX Metrics, If you use DAX metrics for conditional formatting, you can create a metric and reference it in the conditional formatting dialog box for each field. This way, you only need to adjust the metric if the rule needs to be changed, and it will be reflected in all fields that use the metric.
Tips for speeding up the process:
2.Templates, If you frequently use the same conditional formatting rules, consider creating Power BI templates. Once you have set up your report with all the formatting, you can save it as a template and then use this template to launch a new report with the existing formatting. 
3.Power BI Template (.pbit), If you are launching a new report, you can save time by using a saved template with conditional formatting already applied.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @RMDNA ,

you can do it in a formula and then reference the formula in the conditional formatting.

check it out https://youtu.be/K-uhWhl9Grs?si=DzfK0Xw-hSitslKz

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @RMDNA 

you can try with project *.pbip format, but unfortunately there is no built-in feature to apply conditional formatting to all columns

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.