Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Lukep
Frequent Visitor

Conditional colour formatting

Hi all,

I am trying to put together a monthly report for a customer that will be automatically updated at the start of every month with the the data for:

1. the previous month (e.g. August 2023)

2. The month preceding that month (e.g. July 2023)

3. The same month previous year of the previous month  (e.g. August 2022)

One thing that i am struggling with each month in the automation process is the colours of the columns in some of the charts.

screenshot for help with colours for bespoke report.pngAs the above photo shows, the latest month column should be blue and the previous month should be black. However, when the new month begins and the data is updated the colour of the column changes also automatically. 

I believe that the reason for this is because the previous months report (July 2023) was set as July being the blue column and therefore Power BI assumes July should stay blue. 

However i want the latest month to always be blue, the previous month to be black and the previous year to be orange.

Please could someone advise how to do this in my report.

I have also attached two more screenshots of the visualisations column in case that helps to explain the situation more clearly too.

screenshot of colours tab.pngscreenshot of visualisation tab.png

2 REPLIES 2
mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @Lukep ,

It is better if you will use the year as legend and set the colors instead of using the months

Hi @mussaenda 

I need to show each month seperately because the customer has asked for this to compare their data for the latest month to the previous month and previous year for the % changes in visitor numbers.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.