Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

EaglesTony
Helper V
Helper V

Conditional Coloring not working

Hi,

I had one report working on Conditional Coloring, but this new one I can't seem to get it to do conditional coloring for some reason.

I have a column PCT Complete that in the data is defined as the following:

1) Data type: Decimal number

2) Format: Percentage

3) # of decimals: 0

4) Summarization: Sum

5) Data category: Uncategorized

Now for this field on my table visual I have the following conditional formatting for Background Color:

EaglesTony_0-1681224576274.png

However all the backgrounds are green, when some have values of 93%(which should be yellow) and 151%(which should be red).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
EaglesTony
Helper V
Helper V

I think I found a solution to it.

The field PercentComplete is of Data type "Decimal Number" and Format "Percentage" with 0 decimal places.

A new field needs to be created to convert this into a whole number (i.e. newfield = PercentComplete * 100) and this new field needs to be of Data type "Whole number" and Format "General" asd Auto as decimal places.

In the conditional formatting, I had to use this new field that is a whole number and not the percentage field.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
EaglesTony
Helper V
Helper V

I think I found a solution to it.

The field PercentComplete is of Data type "Decimal Number" and Format "Percentage" with 0 decimal places.

A new field needs to be created to convert this into a whole number (i.e. newfield = PercentComplete * 100) and this new field needs to be of Data type "Whole number" and Format "General" asd Auto as decimal places.

In the conditional formatting, I had to use this new field that is a whole number and not the percentage field.

EaglesTony
Helper V
Helper V

Is it working for you ?

EaglesTony
Helper V
Helper V

That I cannot.

I think if you build a simple table with 1 row with the attributes mentioned above and then add a table visual to the report.

This works for me:

DOLEARY85_0-1681238085884.png

DOLEARY85_1-1681238099256.png

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Rudy_D
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi,

I think it's because you have selected 'number' in your rules :). Everything is green because everything is < 1.

If your values are in %, you have to select '%' or you have to work with decimals.

Regards.

Rudy

Dont think that will work, as my last condition would be > 99 Percent and then what is the other side, as it only allows 100 percent, but I have values as 153 percent.

If you change all of them to Percent values and use percent type in the conditional formatting except for Values over 100% use:

>1 Number and <= 100 Percent 

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on LinkedIn

OK. So you have to work with decimals.

Try :

Rule 1 : >=0 & <= 0.76

Rule 2 : > 0.76 & <= 0.99

Rule 3 : > 0.99 & < 10

For Rule #3 you mention 10 would that be then considered 1000% ?

Yes, that's it.

That did not work as I have a few at 25% as yellow and not green, so at 8% as red and not green and one that is 151% as yellow and not red.

Here is my setup:

EaglesTony_0-1681235491152.png

My field is set to Data Type: Decimal Number, Format: Percentage and no decimal places

Hi, try:

>= 0  Percent <=76 Pecent

>76 Percent <= 99 Percent

>1 Number  <=100 Percent

You may have to adjust the order to have the last one first but try it in that order to start with

Thanks, but that did not work and even tried to move them around with no luck.

You may change the Rule no. 3 as follows:

Rule 3 : > 0.99 & <=Max (You have to type Max in the box)

Still no luck after changing..I have something 5% in red and nothing in yellow.

Here is the setting (I did change to Max, but when I went back in, this is what it shows):

EaglesTony_0-1681324186755.png

Are you able to share the PBIX file?

Did you create a simple table and try to do the conditional formatting on it ?

Yeah, it was very basic with just a unique row and a percentage.

Is it working correctly ?

If so, can you share what your field definition is and your conditional rule setup on this field ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.