Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

SudoFi

Compare Active Directory Environments Users/Groups/Group_Memberships

I have 2 active directory environments we are doing a refresh on (development ("dev-ad.com") and pulling the data from production ("prod-ad.com")

I have connected and pulled each environment into its own report. The current environment we are refreshing is developement. I need to be able to ensure all UsersGroups and Group Memberships are as close to production as possible. Each environment is using a different domain so OU, DN, and CN will all have slights diffrent values due to this. 

I am faily new to PowerBI, self-taught. So Im trying to figure out the best method for creating a report that will compare Dev AD with Prod AD. 

Data:
dev_group
dev_group_memebers
dev_user
prod_group
prod_group_members
prod_user

There are too many columns to specify for each data group. Essentially I have;
- all attributes for users
- basic for groups
- group members i have group distinguishedName, member.displayName, member.employeeNumber, member.employeeType, member.userPrincipalName, group top.name.

I really could use alot of help here. I have been beeing my head against the wall trying to learn as much as I can in order to do all of this, which seems kind of advance but thats just my opinion. 

2 REPLIES 2
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SudoFi ,

Please try below steps:

Steps1: Data Preparation
Given the complexity and volume of the data you're dealing with, the first step is to ensure your data is well-prepared for comparison. This involves structuring your data in a way that facilitates easy comparison despite the differences in domain names. 

1. Normalize Domain-Specific Attributes: Since OU, DN, and CN have slight differences due to different domains, create calculated columns in Power BI to normalize these attributes. For example, you can create a new column that extracts the last part of the DN that is common across both environments.
  2. Consolidate Data: Ensure that your data tables (dev_group, dev_group_members, dev_user, prod_group, prod_group_members, prod_user) are loaded into Power BI. You may need to transform these tables to have a consistent structure for comparison. Use Power Query Editor in Power BI for this purpose.

Steps2: Creating Relationships
Establish relationships between your tables. Since you're dealing with users and groups across two environments, you'll likely need to create relationships based on normalized attributes that are common between development and production.

Steps3: Comparison Logic
To compare the environments:

1. Create Measures for Comparison: Use DAX to create measures that identify discrepancies between the two environments. For example, you can create a measure that counts the number of users in a group in the production environment and compares it with the count in the development environment.
  2. Visualize Differences: Use conditional formatting and visuals like tables and bar charts to highlight differences between the two environments. This will make it easier to identify where discrepancies lie.

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your response. I have done both steps 1 and 2 thus far and I am stuck on step 3. I am definately not that skilled wtih DAX and having to research each logical comparison with little luck. If there is any assistantace you can help with this, I would greately appreacite it. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.