Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

abde139
Frequent Visitor

Combining Databases from OneLacke and from local source in Power BI Desktop

My goal is to combine a database imported from the cloud and processed via OneLake Lakehouse and combine it with a local database (private data) in Power BI Desktop.

I built and processed the database in my OneLake Lakehouse imported from the cloud. After importing this database into my Power BI Desktop, Power BI prevents me from importing other databases and all icons are disabled!

I'm wondering if this is a normal process after importing data from OneLake, and if we can't combine the data in Power BI Desktop? or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @abde139,

When you use OneLake connector in Power BI Desktop, it is like a live connection, therefore you can't edit it.

It is basically a DirectLake connection.

You can read more about it here:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/directlake-overview

To combine your data coming from cloud database & Local file, I would suggest you use Dataflow Gen2 to combine these two and write the combined data to your OneLake.

Once you have your combined data in OneLake, you can consume it in Power BI Desktop like you are doing now.

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
abde139
Frequent Visitor

It is clear to me now,

Many thanks @Pragati11 

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @abde139,

When you use OneLake connector in Power BI Desktop, it is like a live connection, therefore you can't edit it.

It is basically a DirectLake connection.

You can read more about it here:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/directlake-overview

To combine your data coming from cloud database & Local file, I would suggest you use Dataflow Gen2 to combine these two and write the combined data to your OneLake.

Once you have your combined data in OneLake, you can consume it in Power BI Desktop like you are doing now.

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

No can do.  Perhaps we are living on 2 different planets because when I try with PBI Desktop Version: 2.124.2028.0 64-bit (December 2023) I get this error:

Screenshot 2024-02-19 154020.jpg

When you create a semantic model from the lakehouse UI, by default the connection will be in DirectLake mode with no choice given to switch to DirectQuery.

In PBI Desktop, I tried to get data both as a Power BI semantic models, and as a lakehouse via the Get data from another source link in the center of the start page. In both instances, I get a 'Working on it' dialog that pops up and disappears real quick, and then nothing, the UI data pane remains empty and no visual feedback of any kind is provided to inform the user that there is a problem.  You are basically left to guess and go on an Easter egg hunt.  I have better things to do with my time than this!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.