Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

pradeep467
Helper III
Helper III

Combine a dataset and report PBIX files

Hi Experts,

In my porject we normally practise the method of splitting up the dataset and report pbix files, so that same dataset can support 2 versions of the report files. We keep the visuals in the dataset pbix file as well, for help with testing and any specific cosmetics are performed only on the report pbix file.  Eventually the visuals on dataset pbix and report pbix are out of sync.

I am planning to bring the dataset pbix file visuals back in sync with report visuals, I tried a few options but none of them helped. If someone here has tried this and implemented successfuly can you pls navigate me through the steps.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Brunner_BI
Super User
Super User

@pradeep467  @CoreyP 

With the new .pbip format, you can put together two .pbix files again.

You need to convert both to .pbip first and then overwrite the report folder of the dataset with the report folder of the report file (.pbip).

I explained it here:

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Rejoin-previously-splitted-dataset-and-report-util...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Brunner_BI
Super User
Super User

@pradeep467  @CoreyP 

With the new .pbip format, you can put together two .pbix files again.

You need to convert both to .pbip first and then overwrite the report folder of the dataset with the report folder of the report file (.pbip).

I explained it here:

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Rejoin-previously-splitted-dataset-and-report-util...

Thanks Brunner, this is exactly what I was looking for.

pradeep467
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks for the reply @CoreyP , I was trying to get the dataset hooked up into the report pbix file that way the bookmarks and other cosmetics stay intact. I tried the copy and paste but it doesnt bring all the cosmetics ike bookmarks, background etc.

Yeah, that's correct. It will only copy over the visuals on the canvas. Background and bookmarks and other things will not copy over, you'll need to set those back up manually. 

I'm assuming you have the latest version of your dataset model already published to the power bi service? Then your thin report just connects to that model? The only other possible way I can think of, though I haven't tested this yet, would be to update the data sources of the model file to the published version and effectively "convert" it to a thin report. 

So, you have your most up to date version of the data model file published. Open the data model file in PBI Desktop, and save as a different version ( so as not to mess anything up ). Then go to your data source settings, edit data sources and select the published version as the data source. Then see if you're able to publish that as a thin report. It should work since all your data sources are changed to just a live connection to the published version. I'm not sure, give it a shot.

CoreyP
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

We generally do the same. We create our model in one PBIX file, and publish it to a workspace specifically for data models. We then use these data models to support multiple reports. The reports that have a live connection to these data models are typically called "thin" reports. 

To your point, when developing, it's helpful to develop in the data model file in case you need to add new measures and whatnot. The easiest method I have found to update the visuals in the thin report from the data model is just to Select All visuals on the report page in the data model, Copy, and Paste in the report page of the thin report.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.