Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

comish4lif
Helper II
Helper II

Column reference... cannot be used with a variation 'MonthNo' because it does not have any

I have a measure that was working previously, but is no longer working after a data refresh. The following function:

Requests Completed by Month = COUNTX(FILTER('Production Approval Workflow', 'Production Approval Workflow'[Date_Prod_Val_Review].[MonthNo]),[Title]) 

Measure Completed by MonthNo.png

Is producing this error:

Column reference to 'Date_Prod_Val_Review' in table 'Production Approval Workflow' cannot be used with a variation 'MonthNo' because it does not have any.

The column is a defined as a date datatype.  Are the null dates the issue? What I am trying to do is get a monthly count of completed items [Title].

Date_Prod_Val_Review.png

Any thoughts or suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @comish4lif

You could try to change the formula to:

Requests Completed by Month = COUNTX(FILTER('Production Approval Workflow', MONTH('Production Approval Workflow'[Date_Prod_Val_Review]),[Title]) 

So in stead of: Table[date.column].[MonthNo]  --> MONTH(Table[date.column])

v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @comish4lif,

First the error has nothing to do with Null dates.

11.PNG

And I can repro your issue. If I disable the Time intelligence (Auto Date/Time) option in File/Options and Settings/Options/Data Load. The error shows up.

22.PNG33.PNG

Thereby, please verify your Time intelligence setting.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Xi Jin, 

Thanks for the response - but the Time Intelligence was selected (it had the checkmark).

I unchecked Time Intelligance and a bunch of visualizations and measures that were working then became broken.

Any other suggestions?

Hi @comish4lif,

One possibility. Have you created any relationships on this table 'Production Approval Workflow'? Relationship can affect date hierarchy. Please verify this.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Do I have relationships on that table? Only about 9.

What type of relationship should I be looking at as the source of my problem?

Relationships.png

Hi @comish4lif,

Ok. It's hard to say. Could you please share us your pbix file with OneDrive if possible? So that I can know your actual situation and make some proper tests.

If you can't share us the file. I would suggest you check all the relationships one by one. Start from date columns.

Thanks.
Xi Jin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.