Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

sgregory76

'Column not found' message received when refreshing a dataset containing a Web URL datasource

Hi,

I have an issue with PBI desktop.  One of my reports has a Web URL as a datasource, a very basic page which has 3 columns of information: Month, Name and Count.  This page is updated once a month, but only the rows increase, there are NO column changes.

When trying to refresh the data set in PBI, I get an error saying the 'Month' column cannot be found.  The only way i've found to get past this error is to delete and recreate the data source, which then loads correctly.  However, if I try and refresh the data set the following day, I get the same error.  This is despite the page format not changing.

Can anyone advise what the issue might be please?  This is driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance,

Simon

5 REPLIES 5
HarishKM
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hello,
Kindly check you web page to see any changes in Column name if found any then kindly replicate the same in power bi. 

Thanks

Harish

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

@sgregory76

v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sgregory76 ,
I’d like to acknowledge the valuable input provided by the @Idrissshatila . Their initial ideas were instrumental in guiding my approach. However, I noticed that further details were needed to fully understand the issue.
In my investigation, you can click on transform data to go to power query.

vheqmsft_0-1713750402460.png

Based on the information you provided, the error may be due to a change in the structure of the data on the fetched page, possibly in the names of the columns. This may be reflected in the names of the data columns with additional spaces or changes in the format of the data. Of course, it is also possible that an unknown column has been added.
In these cases, you can use query diagnostics to track down the error. Of course, you can also open the advanced editor to check the corresponding error report after the refresh is completed.

vheqmsft_1-1713751632808.png

vheqmsft_2-1713751644089.png

Best regards,

Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Thanks for your reply.  I can confirm that the structure of the data returned on the web page has not changed, no additional fields or columns have been added or removed - in fact, the data only changes once a month, at which point an additional 3 rows of information are added (nothing is ever removed).

However, I can see from running query diagostics that PBI believes the 'Month' column is missing.  Which is very strange, because if I remove and re-add the specific web data source from the model, it works fine for a few days.

Very confusing.....

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @sgregory76 ,

can you try to refresh this table from power query and check it there.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

So sorry, can you explain how I do that please?  Do you mean from the transform data dialog? (which is where I have been trying).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.