Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RudyL
Helper I
Helper I

Column grand totals in a matrix, but only when more than one column is in my filter

Hi,

Let's take a simple matrix: years as columns, countries as rows and revenue as values. Next to the matrix is a multi select slicer for years. 

I have the column subtotals option ON in the visual so i can select a couple of years and the totals column adds up these values per country row. But when I select only one year. The matrix has a column for that year and a totals column that is identical to the one year selected. 

Guess my question: can you hide a totals column from a matrix when only one column is selected. For those who try to suggest conditional formatting values so totals become white on white, i want the totals column header to be hidden as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RudyL ,

Base on my research, there is no built-in functionality in Power BI to conditionally hide the total column in a matrix visual based on the number of columns selected. The total column in a matrix visual will always be displayed if the “Column subtotals” option is turned on, regardless of the number of columns selected in the slicer...

Assume that you have a matrix visual below and apply the below fields onto the matrix.

vyiruanmsft_0-1709865399871.png

Then you can create a measure as below to get the sum of values:

Adjusted Sales = 
VAR SelectedYears =
    CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Table'[Year] ), ALLSELECTED ( 'Table'[Year] ) )
RETURN
    IF (
        SelectedYears = 1
            && NOT ( ISINSCOPE ( 'Table'[Year] ) ),
        BLANK (),
        SUM ( 'Table'[Sales] )
    )

vyiruanmsft_1-1709866282120.png

You can find the details in the attachment.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RudyL ,

Base on my research, there is no built-in functionality in Power BI to conditionally hide the total column in a matrix visual based on the number of columns selected. The total column in a matrix visual will always be displayed if the “Column subtotals” option is turned on, regardless of the number of columns selected in the slicer...

Assume that you have a matrix visual below and apply the below fields onto the matrix.

vyiruanmsft_0-1709865399871.png

Then you can create a measure as below to get the sum of values:

Adjusted Sales = 
VAR SelectedYears =
    CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Table'[Year] ), ALLSELECTED ( 'Table'[Year] ) )
RETURN
    IF (
        SelectedYears = 1
            && NOT ( ISINSCOPE ( 'Table'[Year] ) ),
        BLANK (),
        SUM ( 'Table'[Sales] )
    )

vyiruanmsft_1-1709866282120.png

You can find the details in the attachment.

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Nice sort-of-solution. I like the way you play DAX.

But in the end the column header 'total' is still visible. I was looking for a full solution that this would be conditional as well. But as you mentioned, functionality is not known to be provided. Thanks anyway for responding.

Hi @RudyL ,

The colum subtotal lable can't be changed dynamically base on the formula...

vyiruanmsft_0-1710122096488.png

Best Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.