Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bdehning
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Clustered Column Visual

I have the following visual which uses filter  It is set less than 4

Top 3 by frequency  =  
IF (
    ISBLANK ( [Count of Total Gross Incurred] ),
    BLANK (),
    RANKX ( ALL ( InjuryCause[Cause Grouping] ), [Ref],, DESC, SKIP ))

and also uses measure Top N where Top is 3

Sort measure Count Tenure Cause =
VAR _FreqByPolicyYear = CALCULATE([Count of Total Gross Incurred], FILTER(ALL(InjuryCause[Cause Grouping]), [Top 3 by frequency]<4))
VAR _LN = LEN(FORMAT(CALCULATE([Count of Total Gross Incurred], ALL('LossRun'[LOE 2023])), "text"))
VAR _Pre = _FreqByPolicyYear *POWER(10, _LN*2)
VAR _Inc = CALCULATE(RANKX(ALLSELECTED(LossRun[LOE 2023]), [Count of Total Gross Incurred],,ASC,Dense), ALLSELECTED(InjuryCause[Cause Grouping]))
VAR _Mid = _Inc * POWER(10, _LN)
RETURN
IF(ISBLANK([Count of Total Gross Incurred]), BLANK(), _Pre + _Mid + RANKX(ALLSELECTED(InjuryCause[Cause Grouping]),[Ref],,ASC,Skip))

How do I eliminate the blank column showing for 1 yr.? 

I assume because it leaves space for the Strain Blue column the others have ones have but for 1 yr, strain is not in top 3.     

bdehning_1-1714952591519.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I solved the issue by adding both Cause and LOE to my X-Axis.  

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
v-zhouwen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bdehning ,

Regarding your question, I think there may be a problem with the ranking, I created the measure and calculated columns and they both show 1.

vzhouwenmsft_0-1714984924638.png

vzhouwenmsft_1-1714985322922.png

You can try modifying it in this format

vzhouwenmsft_2-1714985761676.png

If I understand you wrong, can you share your .pbix file without sensitive data?

Hard to share file, which part did you modify with your Rank=?  Was it the Top 3 By Frequency or the Sort Measure?   

Hi @bdehning ,

I think we should change it here.

vzhouwenmsft_0-1715044192991.png

Assuming that the column 'Cause Grouping' has the values 'No Data','<1yr','yr', and you have cleared the filtering capability of the field using the ALL function, the 'Ref values should all be the same, for sorting all are 1

I was trying this earlier and trying to figure out What is Sheet1 and Sheet1[Type] and then Col2.   I Assume Sheet1 is Injury Cause and Type is Cause Grouping.  Not sure what Col2 is for me?   Its Either Count of Total Gross Incurred or LossRun[LOE 2023]?

Sorry for the confusion. These are my hypothetical data, 'Sheet1' is 'InjuryCause', 'Type' is 'Cause Grouping', and 'col2' is the value of 'Ref'. Can you share some simple data?

Here is what I am trying but when I use EARLIER('InjuryCause'[Cause Grouping])) 'InjuryCause'[CauseGrouping]  is in red?   Is not not like EARLIER?  Refers to an earlier row context which doesn't exist?

Top 3 by frequency =
IF (
    ISBLANK ( [Count of Total Gross Incurred] ),
    BLANK (),
    RANKX (FILTER('InjuryCause', 'InjuryCause'[Cause Grouping] = EARLIER('InjuryCause'[Cause Grouping])),LossRun[Count of Total Gross Incurred],,DESC,Skip)

Hi @bdehning ,

This function requires a row-context computing environment .Please attempts to create a calculated column, not a measure.

I tried to use 'InjuryCause'[Cause Grouping] after EARLIER and it stays red.   Is not 'Sheet1'[Type] not the same on both sides of the =?

Hi @bdehning ,

I am very sorry for taking you in the wrong direction, let's ignore the ranking issue for a moment, the reason for the blank columns is probably due to the use of the legend.

In the table visual object, only the top three figures are shown, but in the clustered bar chart, blank columns are shown, which should be due to the use of a legend.

vzhouwenmsft_0-1715067858273.png

Please follow these steps:

vzhouwenmsft_1-1715067502678.png

Use the following DAX expression to create a measure

Measure 2 = 
VAR _a = SELECTEDVALUE('Injury Cause'[Cause])
RETURN SWITCH(TRUE(),
_a = "STF","Red",
_a = "Strain","Blue",
_a = "Struckby","Green",
_a = "Caught between","Yellow")

Setting the color

vzhouwenmsft_2-1715067700619.png

vzhouwenmsft_3-1715067721013.png

I realized the Legend was the issue as my table of date is fine.   Unfortunately there are 250 Injury Causes possible, so setting the 4 with color in your measure will not solve this .  

I solved the issue by adding both Cause and LOE to my X-Axis.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.