Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

SDittmannFleet
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Circular dependency issue - worked previously

I have created a table using DAX and have previously been able to connect it with the Asset table on [Asset Id] in a 1-1 relationship. I needed the workaround, because I have a table visual where assets are vanishing as soon as I add LTD expense. It's expected for assets without any expense, I guess, so, the best thing I could think of was to create a calculated table. I'm now questioning if I even need that table, maybe just a measure would do. Here's the DAX:

Asset Expense = 
SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(
    'Asset'[Asset Id],
    'Asset'[Asset Name],
    'Asset'[Equipment Category],
    "Total Expense LTD",
    IF(
        ISBLANK(SUM('Invoice Segment'[Grand Total Final Before Tax])),
        SUM('Invoice Segment'[Grand Total Final Before Tax])
    )
)

In a report, I was able to connect this table, as I said, but for some reason it no longer works. The first report still has the relationship and it works fine, but if I take it out, I cannot put it back in.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
v-yaningy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @SDittmannFleet 

Can you achieve what you need by adding the required columns to the visual object and creating a Measure, thus avoiding the need to create a Total Expense LTD, and if you don't have a clue, you can share the pbix file with no sensitive data to help with the testing.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Can you please provide an example for a measure (you can use the parameters/values from the calculated table)? Basically, what I need is a measure that returns LTD expense (the sum of Invoice Segment[Grand Total Final Before Tax]) for each asset ID, and if there is no entry for an asset ID in the invoice segment table, it should return either 0 or nothing, no preference. Asset and Invoice Segment are connected in a 1-* relationship.

I have tried a few approaches, but no matter what I do, I get a ton of duplicates in the table, which is obviously not what I want, or on top of it some really weird results for the sum.

SDittmannFleet
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

SDittmannFleet_0-1715894835052.png

This is from the report where it was previously OK.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.