Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dehzincwb

Cannot create relationship between two columns

Hello guys!

Look, I have a two CSV files that I imported without any problem. One of this files we call (RNSA) another one is (ACTIVE)

RNSA file have information about register from any service provider like (company name, unique intern code, government registration code etc... In this file doesn't have any duplicate line so the file is very close to this example:

AN8_Client | AN8_Partner | GOV_ID | Company Name | ... ... ...

About the other file (ACTIVE) we have every work order in a specific date range where in my logic its possible put together this two file using the same AN8_Partner, but in this file we have a lot of duplicate values, cause one WO have one AN8_Partner, so if this company make 300 WO in the date range we will have 300 AN8_Partners.

I want connect the two file using AN8_Partner where the cardinality is one to many (1:*) where RNSA File have unique IDs and ACTIVE a lot of repeated. 

Power BI dont allow me this relation cause one of the columns must have unique values! (this is the msg error) ... so? wtF? one of them only have unique values why I cant do this relationship?

Help me guys!

Thx

5 REPLIES 5
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@dehzincwb

What does the highlighted say when clicking on RNSA's AN8_Partner?

Capture.PNG

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi Dehzincwb,

This is cardinality issue u should have atleast one unique value measure from one table...

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

If you're getting that message then RNSA almost certainly has at least one duplicate value that you don't know about. Maybe the methods used in this thread could help you figure out where the duplicates are.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Oh man! Thanks for the fast answer ... but I really do the "duplicate hunter" and in the RNSA column AN8_Partnert just appear the numer 1 ... that means don't have duplicate values. 

But could be another column?

If my relationship was from RNSA[AN8_Partner] to ACTIVE[AN8] only need be unique this column in one of them right? another column tables could have duplicates?

Yes, you would only need one of those two to have unique values. Other columns should not matter. This is a silly question, but those two columns you are trying to relate are in fact matching data, right? Not like names in one column and ID codes in the other?

If one is truly unique and they are matching data, I don't see any reason for the relationship to fail with that error message. Is there any chance I could see your data, or at least a sample of it so I can test?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.