Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

PaulG

Can't login - Update your password dialog

Hello 🙂

I'm trying to use Power BI for the first time, and thought I'd experiment with the desktop product first.  However my attempt to login seems to recognise my Microsoft username and password as being valid, but then presents me with a dialog "Update your password".  "You need to update your password because this is the first time you are signing in, or because your password has expired."

My password has not expired. I can use it perfectly fine to login to other Microsoft products. I even went through Microsoft support who confirmed there are no issues with the account, and infact directed me here for help.

I really don't want to have to change my password across all my devices.  Is this a temporary glitch?  Am I being phished?

Thanks, Paul

5 REPLIES 5
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PaulG ,

It is possible that this issue is related to Power BI specifically, rather than your Microsoft account as a whole. It's also possible that the password update request is a result of a security measure that has been put in place.

Here are a few things you can try to resolve the issue:

• Try signing in to Power BI using a different browser, or using an Incognito or Private browsing window. This will help rule out any issues with caching or cookies in your current browser.
  • Make sure that you are using the correct login credentials for Power BI. Sometimes, users may have multiple Microsoft accounts and may be trying to sign in with the wrong one.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Well that's frustrating.  I wrote quite a detailed reply to this, submitted it to the forum. Then I unmarked your post as 'solves the issue' and it deleted my post.  Hopefully you still have my post in an email?

Long story short - incognito session/alternative browser did not help.  If you want me to type it all out again let me know please

Hi Henry. Sorry for the delay in replying

Using an incognito session or alternative browser does not change the behaviour I'm seeing. 

From app.powerbi.com I go through a single sign on page 'Enter your email, we'll check if you need to create a new account'

Putting my email address in there I get sent to signup.microsoft.com/get-started/signup, with some additional query parameters to send me back to app.powerbi.com. The page itself says 'You've selected Microsoft Power BI ... 'looks like you're already a Microsoft customer. Sign in as <your email address> to get Power BI with your account' (and then has a sign in button)

Clicking sign in sends me to login.microsoftonline.com/common/oauth2/v2.0/authorize with all the usual oauth query parameters, though perhaps interestingly a redirect back to the signup.microsoft.com/get-started page : (redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fsignup.microsoft.com%2Fget-started%2Flanding)

After putting my password in I get redirected back and end up at login.microsoft.com/common/login with the 'Update your password' dialog

(And like I say - these credentials are obviously fine because I get this far, but no other microsoft app/site is presenting me with the 'update your password' dialog. Including this forum which I've registered to using the same microsoft account)

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@PaulG , Make sure you are able to log in to app.powerbi.com on the browser without any problem, after that you try on desktop

Same issue on app.powerbi.com - presents the same dialog that password has expired.  And yet I just logged in to this forum with that account no problem.

Very frustrating. Feels like some Microsoft services aren't following modern best practices for password management, which is NOT to force scheduled password resets

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.