Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Newark2023
Frequent Visitor

Can Power BI import Certain range of data in Excel workbook

Hi, 

I have a simple question.

I know we can import the whole Excel workbook to Power BI easily. But what if I want to import some data in Excel workbook to Power BI, for example ranges like

A1:B10

C20: E56

Can Power BI do that? if yes, how?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Data-estDog
Resolver II
Resolver II

Yes. 
Use the transform option after selecting your workbook. Take a look at the keep rows, remove rows options. And take a look at the choose columns remove columns options. You may not be able to have 2 dynamic ranges off the same sheet. But what you can do is copy the sheet (righ click on sheet, copy). Then apply one range of columns and rows to one sheet, and the range of rows and columns to the other. Make sure to rename the sheets (queries) to something that represents the ranges appropriately. 
If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 

PBITransform.JPG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Data-estDog
Resolver II
Resolver II

Yes. 
Use the transform option after selecting your workbook. Take a look at the keep rows, remove rows options. And take a look at the choose columns remove columns options. You may not be able to have 2 dynamic ranges off the same sheet. But what you can do is copy the sheet (righ click on sheet, copy). Then apply one range of columns and rows to one sheet, and the range of rows and columns to the other. Make sure to rename the sheets (queries) to something that represents the ranges appropriately. 
If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 

PBITransform.JPG

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @Newark2023 ,

What you can do in Power bi is that you can pick what columns you want with "Choose columns" option and you can filter to certain records.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/choose-remove-columns

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/filter-values

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea 💡

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.