Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBPainful
Regular Visitor

Calendar Table Not Filtering

Hello,

I have a calendar table created using the following code:

tbl_MoDaYr =
    VAR  _DateSel = IF([MainFilterString]="Product A",DATE(2022,3,1),DATE(2023,1,1))
    VAR _Calen = CALENDAR(_DateSel,DATE(2026,12,31))
    RETURN
    _Calen

The problem I'm having is that it will always return the false of the IF as the date. I've checked the _DateSel and it returns the correct value based on the slicer selection. On a line graph the dates do not change, so I'm confused why the _DateSel is correct, but the calendar table does not change. I've also tried to use FILTER() on the _Calen using static values for start and end date of the _Calen. Can anyone help?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NVM, found my issue. I realized I had placed Calculate as a VAR and just found that VAR are immutable so moved my Calculate after the Return and all is well. Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
vicky_
Super User
Super User

Calculated tables do NOT refresh when slicers are changed. They will only change each time the whole report is refreshed using the Refresh button on desktop (or a refresh on PBI Service). 

If you need to filter the start date of the table, I suggest that you create the table with the startDate hardcoded as DATE(2022,3,1), then create a measure to filter any visuals that use your calendar table.

e.g.

CalendarTableFilter = INT(
    ([MainFilterString]="Product A" && SELECTEDVALUE(Calendar[Date]) >= DATE(2022,3,1)) || 

(SELECTEDVALUE(Calendar[Date]) >= DATE(2023,1,1))
)

NVM, found my issue. I realized I had placed Calculate as a VAR and just found that VAR are immutable so moved my Calculate after the Return and all is well. Thanks for your help.

Okay this makes sense so I tried to do it through a measue but that is also not working. The issue is that I have a table of contracts with start and end dates and monthly amounts. I'm creating a report that showes expected forward revenue as a line and bars for actuals. The problem I'm having is that one contract type started nearly a year before the others, so I want my graph start date to change dynamically dependent if the user selects type A or all others. In my measure when I run the follwing, it caclulates monthly amounts correctly but will not change dynamically:
Expected Montly Rev =
VAR _minDate = MIN(tbl_Dates[MoYr])
VAR _maxDate = Max(tbl_Dates[MoYr])
VAR _Result = CALCULATE(
SUM(tbl_Contract[MonthlyPaymentAmount]),
FILTER(tbl_Contract, tbl_Contract[EndDate]>=_minDate && tbl_Contract[StartDate] <= _maxDate))
RETURN
_Result

When I alter it slightly to account for a dynamic filter on the start date, it completely breaks the sum and it doesn't filter dynamcially.

Sum of Contract =
VAR _DateSel = IF([MainFilterString]="Product A",DATE(2022,3,1),DATE(2023,1,1))
VAR _minDate = CALCULATE(MIN(tbl_Dates[MoYr]), tbl_Dates[MoYr]>=_DateSel && tbl_Dates[MoYr]<DATE(2027,1,1))
VAR _maxDate = Max(tbl_Dates[MoYr])
VAR _Result = CALCULATE(
SUM(tbl_Contract[MonthlyPaymentAmount]),
FILTER(tbl_Contract, tbl_Contract[EndDate]>=_minDate && tbl_Contract[StartDate] <= _maxDate))
RETURN
_Result

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.