Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jamesrr25
Frequent Visitor

Calculated Column by distinct month

Hello, I am attempting to create a calculated column to indicate the average of Rate by Month. I believe it should look something similar to the following, but I know the expression in the filter function is incorrect.

=Average(Filter('datamodel',[Month] = [Month]),[Rate])

What I am trying to do with this expression in the filter function is indicate that we only want the average for each distinct month. The bolded portion of the function is where I believe I am going wrong here and could use some assistance.

FYI - I have seen examples of this function with the month indicated, but I will not be able to do so with my example. The formula just needs to know that it takes the average of Rate in the 'datamodel' for a distinct month.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @jamesrr25

Please try this

Column = CALCULATE(
                AVERAGE([Rate]) , 
                Filter('datamodel','datamodel'[Month] = EARLIER('datamodel'[Month])
                )
        )

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @jamesrr25

Please try this

Column = CALCULATE(
                AVERAGE([Rate]) , 
                Filter('datamodel','datamodel'[Month] = EARLIER('datamodel'[Month])
                )
        )

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thank you @Phil_Seamark ! This worked perfectly.

I have never used the Earlier function and am reading up on it some more. Very interesting! Have a fantastic day.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.