Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

dsynan
Advocate III
Advocate III

Bridge Table - Product and Product Components Dimensions - Unable to find relationship

dsynan_0-1594305620902.png

I am having issues with the above model/path. 

1. Fact table has the product key

2. Product Dimension (think of this as whole units) has the product key

3. The replacement Glass DIM has a list of glass components that could belong to a single product. i.e. one window unit has multiple glass panes of different size.

I've tried attaching the two dimension tables with a bridge table that contains all of the product keys and their corresponding child item codes (the glass codes). Child item codes could be used in multiple products.

I'm hoping to create a table visual that has attributes from the fact table and both dimension tables, however, when I try to combine attributes from the fact table and the snowflaked/bridged dimension table I recieve the below error. What am I missing?

dsynan_1-1594305948169.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
denglishbi
Employee
Employee

This looks very similar to the banking scenario design with multiple customers associated to accounts and then transactions.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/relationships-many-to-many

What specifically is not working that is generateing the error you provided? We might need to better understand the visual you are trying to create and the columns involved to provide some suggestions.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
denglishbi
Employee
Employee

This looks very similar to the banking scenario design with multiple customers associated to accounts and then transactions.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/relationships-many-to-many

What specifically is not working that is generateing the error you provided? We might need to better understand the visual you are trying to create and the columns involved to provide some suggestions.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@dsynan , bridge table should have between fact to fact. or fact to dimension.

Why there need join to M-M dimension. Can the other not join with fact ?

It would be M-M if joined to the fact table. multiple products can use the same set of components from that second dimension table

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.