Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

mr_oli
Helper I
Helper I

Blank values in date slicer

Hey guys,

I am trying to add one more slicer into Power Bi Report with connection of Year - Month.

I created new column in Calendar table:

mr_oli_0-1612275985185.png

And add slicer with that column.

The problem is that in Year - Month slicer I am able to select dates without entries in main table. For example year 1899 which is not visible in year slicer.

I used same filters like in year or month slicer but in slicer Year - Month its not working.

mr_oli_1-1612276105311.png

What is the problem with that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,@mr_oli 

Please make sure your Date table cover all dates in the date field,and there are no null / blanks present in the date field.

Also check you don’t have different Date Time values in the field.

For this situation ,the solution was that the join to the Date table was to a date time field. Joining to a date only field may resolved the issue.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,@mr_oli 

Please make sure your Date table cover all dates in the date field,and there are no null / blanks present in the date field.

Also check you don’t have different Date Time values in the field.

For this situation ,the solution was that the join to the Date table was to a date time field. Joining to a date only field may resolved the issue.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

this worked for me, thank you!!

negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mr_oli I guess one side of your table relationship does not have matching value that is why blank is appearing in your slicer. You may refer to below blog for help

https://www.encorebusiness.com/blog/blank-value-in-the-power-bi-slicer-and-filter/#:~:text=In%20actu....

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

That blog post at Encore Business was the only place I found that explained the issue simply and had recommended steps to find the bad data and solve it.  Thank you 🙂

timg
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi Mr_Oli, This could be due to the filter direction. If you currently have the filter direction set to one direction (from your date table to the table you wish to filter) it would mean that the year-month column will not be filtered based on the content in the related table. So it will show all values that exist in the date table. You could change the filter direction to "both" for this relationship to filter the slicer. Or even better, reduce the date table to contain only the dates that your will require (based on your other slicers I would assume that starting the calendar at 2020 would perhaps already be sufficient). 

before date filter.PNGbefore filter direction changefilter direction.PNGfilter direction

dfter date filter.PNGafter filter direction change

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

I can't change it to 'both' because I have another table after "Date" Table 

themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @mr_oli ,

pre-1900 dates are read as text and not dates ( in Excel) and i think the same thing happens also in PowerBI.

Best to check if this is causing issues with your data

No, I do not think that you are right - its just sorting in slicer.

mr_oli_1-1612276781570.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.