Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Element115
Power Participant
Power Participant

BUG::line visual markers + color bugs

ISSUE: After switching from a line clustered column chart to a line chart, the conditional color formatting defined for a series columns of the former got transferred onto the markers of the latter even though the line chart Markers option is off!  Even more puzzling, there are no conditional formatting rules available neither for lines nor markers.

Further, the viz is driven by a field parameter table. After dropping the param field into the data well of both the y-axis and the 2dary y-axis, and selecting 2 different field params, the viz only shows one series instead of both in the Service, but both in Desktop.

Has something changed with the Power BI Desktop codebase?  Power BI Service behaves the same way except it shows one instead both series.

Desktop screenshot

Screenshot 2024-02-19 225433.jpg

Service screenshot

Screenshot 2024-02-19 224654.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Element115,

The only way to remove the condittial formatting is going back to bar chart removing and returning to line again.

I know it's not normal in any way tried to have some sarcasm when said about 'notmal', but it did not work. Did not want to offend you in any way,.

Just wanted to point out that unfortunately it's how it's working not sure why, and also do not agree, but knowing where it fails we can have some contingency plans. 

Again I apologise if my answer was in any way offensive. 

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Element115 ,

This is the "normal" behaviour in line charts you don't have condittional formatting, and you need to do it using the work around on a bar visual, and it's only applied to the markers not the lines.

You can see below an answer from Miguel Myers about this being on the roadmap.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/adam-butt-09823333_powerbi-activity-7163883111468986368-JcyX

Regards

Miguel Félix

Thanks for the reply but that's not what I am talking about.  I was not asking about 'how to do conditional formatting of a line chart.'  The conditional formatting that was set up on a line+clustered column chart should disappear, ie be dropped, when you switch to a line only chart, when using field params because different fields will have different thresholds in their respective conditional rules.  Or if only one data column is used, then conditional formatting should be applied to the line color and not the markers. (Just read the linkedIn post, I see now what you were trying to say.)

The worst part is 

1__the Markers option in the Format pane is off, and yet they are displayed on the line chart. Go figure. 

2__there is no way to access the conditional formatting to remove it from the line chart after switching from line+clustered column to line chart.

So, this is not 'normal' by any stretch of the imagination.

Hi @Element115,

The only way to remove the condittial formatting is going back to bar chart removing and returning to line again.

I know it's not normal in any way tried to have some sarcasm when said about 'notmal', but it did not work. Did not want to offend you in any way,.

Just wanted to point out that unfortunately it's how it's working not sure why, and also do not agree, but knowing where it fails we can have some contingency plans. 

Again I apologise if my answer was in any way offensive. 

Regards

Miguel Félix

We are cool, man 😃  No need to apologize, you haven't done anything wrong.  I'm not the sensitive type who takes offense at anything and everything, unlike some people 😉.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.