Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

kbrent1218
Regular Visitor

Applying weighted survey data to demographic filters

Hello-

I am working with market research survey data and had to apply weighting to get the correct results to my survey questions in PowerBI. There is a separate column for the weight of each respondent, so i applied a DAX function to get it to come out properly. However, I came to a standstill when I went to apply demographic filters to my answers. For example: When seeing how often a consumer would go to the mall during the week, i wanted to see which genders selected "every day", however my results come out wildly incorrect (it should be M:17% and F:10%). 

How can i make sure my weights are always applied and that the demographic data is showing up appropriately? 

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 4.15.14 PM.png

kbrent1218_0-1715296696907.png

2 REPLIES 2
kbrent1218
Regular Visitor

Hi!! Some sample raw data is as follows: 

UserIDStateWeightGenderIncomeHow often do you shop online?How many online resources do you use per day? 
1FL.50M$40Kevery day8+
2CA.83F$60kat least once a week5+
3GA1.04M$80KEvery day2+

Does this help? I first go into PowerBI and unpivot the question columns (those that are not UserID, Weight, and demographic information). Then I apply a measure so that the weight column is applied to all answers. The problem I run into is trying to get the demographic information to show up correctly. If want to see how many men selected "every day", it shows up as 50%. What I need it to do is show up as a percentage of the total responses for that question. 

v-jianpeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @kbrent1218 

Can you provide some sample data that doesn't include privacy? And describe the output you expect based on these sample data?

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards

Jianpeng Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.